ACPI Error Stops Booting with latest Proxmox Update

mmx

Nov 25, 2020
I have a Dell Poweredge 2950 and when I boot I get this:

[ 0.255247] ACPI: SPCR: Unexpected SPCR Access Width. Defaulting to byte size
[ 0.812413] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB._OSC.CDW1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20190816/psargs-330)
[ 0.812489] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB._OSC due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20160816/psparse-531)
[ 1.540833] ERST: Failed to get Error Log Address Range.

Now I have only encountered this issue when using 6.3 that I am aware of, I was able to roll back to an earlier version of Proxmox and get it to boot but after
a dist-upgrade again it may boot once or twice but then I will get this, I was running this in a cluster but had to remove it. I am going to try installing 6.2 and see if I encounter these errors but from what I can tell this happened after the newest kernel update, and I can't boot because it just hangs after that message. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am trying to run 2 nodes and using a proxmox backup server and I prefer to keep all my systems up to date.

I am going to try installing 6.2 and see if I encounter these errors but from what I can tell this happened after the newest kernel update
You can just install an older kernel, no need to reinstall the host.

[ 0.255247] ACPI: SPCR: Unexpected SPCR Access Width. Defaulting to byte size
Do you have some serial console port redirection (SPCR) configured? Also check that the BIOS is up-to-date and if there is some serial port settings.

You can just install an older kernel, no need to reinstall the host.

Do you have some serial console port redirection (SPCR) configured? Also check that the BIOS is up-to-date and if there is some serial port settings.
I would install an older kernel but can't even get into the OS, the only shell I can get to is the GRUB shell, like I said it freezes at boot right away, there is no way to get to the BASH prompt.....

BIOS is the latest revision, I have already checked, and I have messed with the SCPR, tried all settings possible, in the bios but doesn't get me passed this issue, like I stated before, everything booted fine until the latest kernel update, I have to reinstall because I can't get to the BASH shell

I would install an older kernel but can't even get into the OS, the only shell I can get to is the GRUB shell, like I said it freezes at boot right away, there is no way to get to the BASH prompt.....
GRUB doesn't show the previous kernel? Else you can try to boot with the 6.2 ISO. If you start it in debug mode and abort the wizard, it will drop you on a full shell.

That's exactly what I was going to do, boot live and try the debug mode with 6.2 to try to drop into a shell, I am at school now so won't be able to try this until later. Grub doesn't show the previous kernel now after using it before and applying another update, and then I ran apt autoremove and apt autoclean, and it must have taken that kernel out when I did that. I'm just confused why this happened after the kernel update, if I know why I may be able to fix it plus like I stated I like to keep everything up to date so if I am using an older kernel and update again won't it update to the new kernel?

I am using an older kernel and update again won't it update to the new kernel?
You should be able to keep the specific kernel package with apt-mark hold pve-kernel-<version>. Anyway, you can install the older kernel again, they are kept on the repository.

Thank you, I was able to get proxmox back up and running again, I appreciate your help!!

I was able to find a workaround that allows me to use the new kernel that I wanted to post here in case anyone ran into this issue, you can turn acpi off by modifying the grub file.

in shell run:
nano /etc/default/grub

Change line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi=off"
save with ctrl-x, then Y, and enter

run in shell:
update-grub
reboot

This makes it skip acpi and will boot normally.

Please mark this thread as closed!
Again, Thank you for everything!

Last edited:
Reactions: Syrrys
I was able to find a workaround that allows me to use the new kernel that I wanted to post here in case anyone ran into this issue, you can turn acpi off by modifying the grub file.

in shell run:
nano /etc/default/grub

Change line:
to

run in shell:
update-grub
reboot

Unfortunately adding acpi=off just broke my proxmox on debian install. will not boot - lots of errors on a black screen with no response. ACPI options in BIOS only suspend to ram or disable.

It is a dual boot pc - windows still working but the debian is completely unaccessible. Any fix to remove acpi=off from the linux grub even if I can't access it normally?

Thanks

update: found the edit option
https://askubuntu.com/questions/160036/how-do-i-disable-acpi-when-booting

Can access proxmox and works but lost access to my debian gui -
black screen with acpi bios error (bug) could not resolve symbol

Last edited:

in shell run:
nano /etc/default/grub

Change line:
to

run in shell:
update-grub
reboot

HI all, I have the same issue on my hpe dl385 unable to get to the shell or grub editor.
Please guide on how to enter shell.. From proxmox iso am trying to Install 7.4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!