[TUTORIAL] Accidently wiped out my backup data store - proxmox backup server in container

entilza

Jan 6, 2021
I'm running proxmox backup server in a container but I think I may have over complicated my re-install scenario which caused me to lose my data store accidently.

[ rpool - zfs 180GB ]
proxmox ve
container: 900 proxmox backup server - 16GB

[tank0]
- vm1
- vm2

[tank1]
- container 900: mount_point_1 data store - 1TB (set not to backup)

Re-install proxmox on rpool wipes out the backup server container. Understandable however, I did have a vzdump of the main pbs server container.

But when I copied back the lxc directory, the /etc/pve/lxc/900.conf now created the container info and when I went to restore the 900-pbs-vzdump it already thought 900 existed - rightfully so...

This is where I made the silly mistake of using the gui to delete the 900 container... That's when I lost my [ tank1 1TB mount point - datastore ]

I believe when I copied the /etc/pve/lxc directory for the pbs this was my big mistake. I think if I did not copy the /etc/pve/lxc/900.conf the restore of the vzdump would have been fine. Or at least I should have restored to a new 901 then somehow pointed the right container to it.

Of course if I just put the pbs server on [tank0] to begin with none of this would have been an issue. I'm going to move it after this lesson....

Anyway, just wanted to show my mistake if it helps anyone re-think their pbs container solution and pve setup on re-installing.

I've made new backups and all is well.

EDIT: Also looking into a 2nd remote PBS sync can also help in these situations.

Last edited:
Hi,

thank you for sharing your experience! If you want, you can mark your posts as Solved or Tutorial by editing the prefix of your post :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!