[SOLVED] Accidentally deleted SSH Key

Erikaso

Apr 9, 2021
**Edit**
I finally was able to fix this! Thanks to everyone who helped ^^

Here is what I did:
I found a BTC miner on my proxmox node. It was running under the name "./kswapd0" and used 100% CPU.
While I was trying to remove everything associated with it, I did the following 2 mistakes:
1. I deleted all ssh keys in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
2. I commented out everything in /etc/fstab (because I thought that the malware would use cron automated task)

Here is how I solved it:
After I rebooted the node I wasn't able to edit almost anything. So I used mount -o remount,rw / to be able to edit /etc/fstab and uncomment it.
Next I did was adding the ssh keys located in "/var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db" back to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys (idk if that is needed)
Then finally I was able to restart the service pve-cluster with systemctl status pve-cluster

Thats it! I hope this solves the issue for other Members with the same issue.

**Edit end**
Hey

My proxmox node server had a btc miner on it.
After I removed it I also deleted all ssh keys (didn't know proxmox needs them)
Please tell me there is a way to restore them...
I can't run any proxmox program:
1618210702814.png
I really can't lose the data :/
Can I at least backup the vms and reinstall proxmox?
I can't even install or update via apt.

Last edited:
ssh keys are stored in /etc/pve (the are a symlink in /root/.ssh/).

seem than corosync or pve-cluster service are not running. (so /etc/pve is not mounted).

can you check:

systemctl status corosync
systemctl status pve-cluster
df

?

ssh keys are stored in /etc/pve (the are a symlink in /root/.ssh/).

seem than corosync or pve-cluster service are not running. (so /etc/pve is not mounted).

can you check:

systemctl status corosync
systemctl status pve-cluster
df

?
root@nfacf1d:/etc# systemctl status corosync
● corosync.service - Corosync Cluster Engine
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/corosync.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at Mon 2021-04-12 09:03:40 CEST; 5min ago
└─ ConditionPathExists=/etc/corosync/corosync.conf was not met
Docs: man:corosync
man:corosync.conf
man:corosync_overview

Apr 12 08:31:28 nfacf1d systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Corosync Cluster Engine being skipped.
Apr 12 08:31:28 nfacf1d systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Corosync Cluster Engine being skipped.
Apr 12 09:03:39 nfacf1d systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Corosync Cluster Engine being skipped.
Apr 12 09:03:39 nfacf1d systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Corosync Cluster Engine being skipped.
Apr 12 09:03:40 nfacf1d systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Corosync Cluster Engine being skipped.
Apr 12 09:03:40 nfacf1d systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Corosync Cluster Engine being skipped.
root@nfacf1d:/etc# systemctl status pve-cluster
● pve-cluster.service - The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pve-cluster.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2021-04-12 09:03:40 CEST; 5min ago
Process: 4847 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pmxcfs (code=exited, status=255/EXCEPTION)

Apr 12 09:03:40 nfacf1d systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Apr 12 09:03:40 nfacf1d systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Apr 12 09:03:40 nfacf1d systemd[1]: Stopped The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.
Apr 12 09:03:40 nfacf1d systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Apr 12 09:03:40 nfacf1d systemd[1]: pve-cluster.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr 12 09:03:40 nfacf1d systemd[1]: Failed to start The Proxmox VE cluster filesystem.
root@nfacf1d:/etc# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev 32878388 0 32878388 0% /dev
tmpfs 6587900 25676 6562224 1% /run
/dev/mapper/pve-root 98559220 28378608 65131064 31% /
tmpfs 32939488 0 32939488 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 32939488 0 32939488 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 6587896 0 6587896 0% /run/user/0

I deleted the key from ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.

Last edited:
I deleted the key from ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.
it's not a problem, you can still readd them.

(just copy/paste /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub from each server to authorized_keys)

Do you have a cluster with multiple hosts or it's a single server ? (corosync is only used with multiple servers)

For pve-cluster: can you try to launch "/usr/bin/pmxcfs" manually , to see if you have a specific error

Last edited:
it's not a problem, you can still readd them.

(just copy/paste /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub from each server to authorized_keys)

Do you have a cluster with multiple hosts or it's a single server ? (corosync is only used with multiple servers)

For pve-cluster: can you try to launch "/usr/bin/pmxcfs" manually , to see if you have a specific error
But the file /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub doesn't exist.
root@nfacf1d:~/.ssh# cat /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
cat: /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub: No such file or directory
I was restarting the server before maybe that wasn't good.

I have installed 2 vm's and owncloud on it.

Do you think I can back up the vm's without using proxmox?

Last edited:
Code:
ls -lah /root/.ssh/
total 56K
drwx------  2 root root    7 Mar  7 17:16 .
drwx------ 45 root root   74 Apr 10 14:53 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   29 Oct 20 08:06 authorized_keys -> /etc/pve/priv/authorized_keys

if you have really delete it, it's not a problem, you can recreate it manually.

but your problem is that pve-cluster (pmxcfs) is not running, and so, /etc/pve/ is not mounted.

Code:
ls -lah /root/.ssh/
total 56K
drwx------  2 root root    7 Mar  7 17:16 .
drwx------ 45 root root   74 Apr 10 14:53 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   29 Oct 20 08:06 authorized_keys -> /etc/pve/priv/authorized_keys

if you have really delete it, it's not a problem, you can recreate it manually.

but your problem is that pve-cluster (pmxcfs) is not running, and so, /etc/pve/ is not mounted.
Is there anything I can do to mount it again?

I found a lot of ssh keys in "/var/lib/pve-cluster/config.db"
Is there any key that I can use for this to recover?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!