Accidentally deleted /etc/pve/nodes in attempt to repair cluster, now I have no VMs but VMs running.

croso

Jul 14, 2024
I was unable to repair the cluster because I was unable to remove myself from it to recreate it or to join another cluster. What I didnt expect was accidentally destroying all of my vms in the pve menu. They are still running but i desperately need to readd them to repair my situation. Any ideas?

In theory if they are still running their config and everything should still be there somewhere to restore from no?

The config is only used when something changes/starts, meaning that because they are running right now, the settings are already loaded into memory, and as long as you don't do anything to interrupt/change that (which might include trying to make backups and the like, so if you have an automatic backup task, you might want to pause that for now), you should be fine for now.

I found that recreating to VMs found the existing vms running and allowed me to access them and running
'qm rescan'
Allowed me to find and reattach their drives.

It's unfortunate I have to recreate everything from memory and have to reinstall everything exactly the way it was to prevent an issue, but it's better than losing everything on my VMs and all that work it took to set them up.

Reactions: Kingneutron
Good to hear that you're making it work, but also know that because you already worked with changing VM's, you also probably lost any chance of just recovering them all-at-once with the correct config (unless you made those backups beforehand)

I found that recreating to VMs found the existing vms running and allowed me to access them and running
'qm rescan'
Allowed me to find and reattach their drives.

It's unfortunate I have to recreate everything from memory and have to reinstall everything exactly the way it was to prevent an issue, but it's better than losing everything on my VMs and all that work it took to set them up.
and you see - no offense - that a backup would have made life so much easier :)

even a small usb stick on a host and regularily cp /etc and config.db (or a scp, rsnyc, cp to nas etc...) is better than no backup

cant say this often enough

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!