Accessing the WAN from a VM on a LAN

krikey

Aug 15, 2018
UK
I have PVE 8.2.7 and have set up port forwarding so that when port 8007 is used on the WAN Proxmox IP address, it gets forwarded to the service running on the VM called BACKUP which is a virtualised PBS. This works well as I'm able to access :8007 (firewalled) from the internet to manage PBS.

BACKUP is connected via vmbr99 to eno2 on the network 10.0.10.0/24 which is my local and physical network.

However, BACKUP itself is unable to access the internet. I've tried pinging 1.1.1.1 and other IP addresses but no luck.

I've fully disabled the PBS firewall temporarily at the datacentre level to test.

Here's a redacted copy of my /etc/network/interfaces file

Code:
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24
        gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        bridge-ports eno1
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr99
iface vmbr99 inet static
        address 10.10.10.1/24
        bridge-ports eno2
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 10.10.10.0/24 -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-up /root/dnat.sh
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s 10.10.10.0/24 -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
#local lan

and this is the /root/dnat.sh file

Code:
sleep 60
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp --dport 8007 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.10.10.100:8007

What do I need to adjust to allow traffic from the BACKUP VM onto the WAN?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!