Accessing root-dir of mounted disk

peterinw

Oct 31, 2023
Hello all.

I want to access my usb-disk from withing the lxc-container. I'm mounting the disk with following line:

mp0: /dev/sdb3,mp=/media/usb-disk,backup=0

The root filesystem is mounted here:

rootfs: local-lvm:vm-107-disk-0,mountoptions=lazytime,size=130G

I know that I can map uid/gids using lxc.idmap in the config file. But is there a way to modify the directory /media/usb-disk?

Trying it in the container gives me an error:

~ # mkdir /media/usb-disk/test mkdir: can't create directory '/media/usb-disk/test': Permission denied

If I interpret it correctly, the root-dir of sdb3 is owned/modifiable by root(0), which is the reason why the unprivileged root(100000) in the container gets "permission denied". However, the same seems to be working with the root-dir of local-lvm:wm-107-disk-0, which is the root dir(/) of the container.
Can I use a mount option or a container option to access /media/usb-disk/?

Here are some more infos from within the container:

~ # mount /dev/mapper/pve-vm--107--disk--0 on / type ext4 (rw,lazytime,relatime,stripe=16) /dev/sdb3 on /media/usb-disk type ext4 (rw,relatime,stripe=8191)

~ # stat / File: / Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 directory Device: fd0dh/64781d Inode: 2 Links: 20 Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root)

~ # stat /media/usb-disk/ File: /media/usb-disk/ Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 directory Device: 813h/2067d Inode: 2 Links: 18 Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: (65534/ nobody) Gid: (65534/ nobody)

I found the solution:
Outside the container, do:

mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt chown 100000:100000 /mnt umount /mnt

Now start the container.

/ # stat / File: / Size: 1024 Blocks: 2 IO Block: 1024 directory Device: fc14h/64532d Inode: 2 Links: 20 Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root) / # stat /media/usb/ File: /media/usb/ Size: 1024 Blocks: 2 IO Block: 1024 directory Device: fc16h/64534d Inode: 2 Links: 4 Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root)

This is the same which is done with the root-partitions of the containers.
They are also owned by 100000 (root in the container)

Now, within the container, I can create files and dirs and change its owner.

Basically, I had to understand that it is possible to change to owner of a mounted mountpoint, and that this change is permanent for the mounted filesystem, even after un- and remounting.

Last edited:
Yes and also keep in mind that you shouldn't use "/dev/sdb3". This might mount the wrong filesystem as soon as you remove or add some disks/usb-sticks. Use "/dev/disk/by-id/yourDiskIdHere-part3" you can find out by running ls -la /dev/disk/by-id | grep sdb3.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!