Accessing internet from Proxmox

w3max

Oct 4, 2024
Hi,

I’ve been trying to setup my fisrt HomeLab for a couple of days. I am pretty new to all this…

What I am trying to do is a all-in-one server (router, firewall, media server, etc). For that, I have a dedicated PC (128gb ram, AMD 7700, 2tb nvme and 12tg hhd).

I also have 3 NICs, 1 from my motherboard (2.5gbe) and 2 from a dual 10gbe nic connected to PCIe 16x.

The 3 NICs are:

enp1s0f0 10gbe - used for wan
enp1s0f1 10gbe - will eventually be used for vlans
enp9s0 2.5gbe - proxmox management / l’an (my other PC is currently connected here for management purpose)

My first goal was to install Proxmox and a virtualized OpnSense router.

I have followed the guides (on YouTube) and everything seems to work except I don’t have internet access on Proxmox or opnsense.

I have created 3 Linux bridges for my 3 nics:

vmbr0 for enp1s0 (management)
vmbr1 for enp1s0f0 (WAN)
vmbr2 for enp1s0f1 (VLANs) - not currently used

My router (in bridge mode) is connected to the WAN port.

Since I can't make opnsense work with internet, I decided to try to ping google (8.8.8.8) from Proxmox shell while the opnsense is shutdown (to keep things as basic as possible), but I can't ping anything (my DNS are set to google).

I tried to force DHCP (my router in bridge mode uses dhcpp to provide public IP), using “dhclient -4 -v vmbr1” (directly from proxmox shell) and it seems to work,a public IP is assigned/bounded to vmbr1, but when I try to ping anything, it does not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Maxime

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!