Access VMs outside of the network without assigning a public IP

Q

Quinton Pike

Hey Guys, first off I want to thank you for proxmox, AWESOME product.

So I have some physical nodes setup with public IPs, what I want to accomplish is to create a few VMs on those nodes and access them outside of the network on the host servers public IP address.

example: physical host is xx.xx.xx.190 which has a VM on it, with a hostname of testvm.domain.com,

If I add a DNS record for testvm.domain.com to point to xx.xx.xx.190 I want it to send it to the VM instead of that actual physical host.

Is this possible, and if so how??

Hey Guys, first off I want to thank you for proxmox, AWESOME product.

So I have some physical nodes setup with public IPs, what I want to accomplish is to create a few VMs on those nodes and access them outside of the network on the host servers public IP address.

example: physical host is xx.xx.xx.190 which has a VM on it, with a hostname of testvm.domain.com,

If I add a DNS record for testvm.domain.com to point to xx.xx.xx.190 I want it to send it to the VM instead of that actual physical host.

Is this possible, and if so how??

Depending on what you ultimately want to connect with (web browser etc) would determine what you would use. Web is done with a reverse proxy. Most port based services would be done via port forwarding. Running a VM as a dedicated gateway might be advisable. Could you give us a little more info about what you want to accomplish?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!