about --pass-stdin <boolean> have support ?

haiwan

Apr 23, 2019
Hi, tks again pve engineer.
we read before old forum talking --pass-stdin <boolean> is no support .
qm guest exec
--pass-stdin <boolean> (default = 0)
When set, read STDIN until EOF and forward to guest agent via input-data (usually treated as STDIN to process launched by guest agent). Allows maximal 1 MiB.

we plan use this from pve host write a file <1M to vm inside .
eg: we use agent write a file auto configration ip address. same openstack nova use qemu-nbd .
tks. wish give me more guide.

if you want to write a file to a vm, i would suggest using the 'file-write' agent command
currently that is only available via the api or via pvesh:
Code:
pvesh create /nodes/NODENAME/qemu/VMID/agent/file-write --file "/path/to/file" --content "your file content"

if you want to give a file direct, you can use subshells like this:

Code:
pvesh create /nodes/NODENAME/qemu/VMID/agent/file-write --file "/path/to/file" --content "$(cat /path/to/host/file)"

if you want to write a file to a vm, i would suggest using the 'file-write' agent command
Code:
pvesh create /nodes/NODENAME/qemu/VMID/agent/file-write --file "/path/to/file" --content "your file content"

Code:
pvesh create /nodes/NODENAME/qemu/VMID/agent/file-write --file "/path/to/file" --content "$(cat /path/to/host/file)"
tks, let me try

Code:

Code:
and we fount have eg use nbd + qemu-nbd write file, this have way guide ?
tks

sadly, i still do not understand where the question or problem is...
sorry, we dec no clear.
we just look for new way (outside cloud-init) use agent (default no change agent safe config) write a file info vm start auto config ip address. just this. tks. issue we develop a pve system manager, maybe next year push language(en) .

Hey, I was looking into transferring a file to a VM running the guest agent as well. It seems like the --content parameter from file-write only takes strings but I want to copy a binary file. Is there a way to accomplish this?
The qemu-guest-agent docs say it accepts a base64 encoded string, I guess you already encode the content of the content parameter and send that to the guest agent.
Is there a way to stop the api from encoding to base64 again and send your own base64 that gets written as a binary file?

Is there a way to stop the api from encoding to base64 again and send your own base64 that gets written as a binary file?
no, not currently, but you can open feature request on our bugtracker (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com)
make sense to have it as an option

we just look for new way (outside cloud-init) use agent (default no change agent safe config) write a file info vm start auto config ip address. just this. tks. issue we develop a pve system manager, maybe next year push language(en) .
ok i think i know what you want, but you did not actually post a question or a problem. what exactly does not work with the steps you linked?

no, not currently, but you can open feature request on our bugtracker (https://bugzilla.proxmox.com)
make sense to have it as an option

ok i think i know what you want, but you did not actually post a question or a problem. what exactly does not work with the steps you linked?
tks reply me, we just want no change agent safe config write a file(very small, is a ip config infomation )acitve vm started auto set static ip address.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!