a single core is always 100%

IcarusFalling

Mar 25, 2023
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2 x 2673 v4 Xeons and proxmox is has been running generally fine ( with a few exceptions). Anyhow, it came to my attention is that there a a specific CPU core that is always near 100%. out of 80 vCPUs this one is persistent. core #4

any idea how can I find which process that is causing this?

I went through the standard list of troubleshooting commands

htop
ps -aux | grep -v "0.0 0.0"
sar -P ALL 1 10
ps -Fae | HEAD

and obviously all of those does not tell you which process is causing this. the one thing that I know is that it's a system process as attached in the pictures. it's confirmed because after I turned all the machines it was still 100%

any help would be appreciates

ps. I did not restart the host because I want to understand why is this happening.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 19.39.00.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 19.39.00.png
    414 KB · Views: 12
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2 x 2673 v4 Xeons and proxmox is has been running generally fine ( with a few exceptions). Anyhow, it came to my attention is that there a a specific CPU core that is always near 100%. out of 80 vCPUs this one is persistent. core #4

any idea how can I find which process that is causing this?

I went through the standard list of troubleshooting commands

htop
ps -aux | grep -v "0.0 0.0"
sar -P ALL 1 10
ps -Fae | HEAD

and obviously all of those does not tell you which process is causing this. the one thing that I know is that it's a system process as attached in the pictures. it's confirmed because after I turned all the machines it was still 100%

any help would be appreciates

ps. I did not restart the host because I want to understand why is this happening.

Hello,

I was wondering it this could just be load on your server? How many VMs / CTs are you currently running? Maybe there is a stuck process if it’s not the load?

Hello,

I was wondering it this could just be load on your server? How many VMs / CTs are you currently running? Maybe there is a stuck process if it’s not the load?

well, the whole point is to find the magic command that answers that very question

well, the whole point is to find the magic command that answers that very question

I see, however I haven’t experience according tot this specific “issue” but what you could try is the following command:

pstack this will print a stack trace of a running process. Maybe you could find some information about the running processes.

Reactions: IcarusFalling

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!