A question about Proxmox and VLAN

cazz

Jul 18, 2021
Sweden
Hi
I'm a little new to proxmox and very new to VLAN (Have not yet buy a switch that support VLAN) but I have one question.

I have just one physically NIC on my proxmox server so if I connect my proxmox server to a switch that support VLAN can I then set specific VLAN on each VM so they can only access to and from a specific port in the switch?

Or do I have to do something more?

The short answer is yes, VLANs are supported with proxmox

For the long answer you would need to provide more information about what you want to try and achieve and why

Thanks for the fast replay
I have to first tell that it have to do with my other questions here
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/have-a-firewall-in-proxmox.103974/

I did try for fun with my USB3.0 Ethernet adapter and it was ok but not perfect.

One if my proxmox server is in a room with only one ethernet cable and I can't add more cable to that room so I was thinking maybe add a VLAN so I can have both my home network and DMZ to the server.

On my other proxmox I'm not sure yet, I can buy one NIC with two or four ethernet port to it and skip VLAN (It is that proxmox that I going to have pfSense on) or maybe get a NIC with one ethernet port and add VLAN to it

I still need to use VLAN but not sure yet if I need it on both of my proxmox servers.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!