8.2-2 Fresh Install

sexyjeep

Oct 13, 2024
Hello,

I just tried to install the latest version of Proxmox on my home host and immediately receive a "out of memory" error as soon as I select either the (Graphical) or (Terminal UI) versions. When I press any key to continue, the entire machine locks up and I am forced to hard power off the machine and back on again.

I have been using this machine on and off for the past 2 months (new build) and have ran Ubuntu Live and Windows 10 Pro on it and everything has worked without issues. I have the latest firmware for all the hardware in this machine as well as having loaded all the defaults to the BIOS while ensuring that CSM is disabled and Virtualization is enabled.

My hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS z790 Hero
Processor: 12th gen Intel Core i-9-12900KS
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (4x16GB) 5600MHz
Storage: x2 512GB SATA Samsung 980 Pro SSD's, x1 1TB M.2 Samsung 970 Pro, x3 2TB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO's

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Jeepy

First suspicion: your installation media is damaged. Recreate it, using another usb stick.

Second: in the installation menu you'll find "Advanced Options: Test Memory (memtest86+)". Run it. Overnight = at least several hours, or two full cycles.

Good luck!

Def not the usb nor memory as the issue, but I can appreciate the suggestion. Been using this machine for 4 months with Windows and Linux on the bare metal - no issues. The USB drive I use, I've deployed all the previous OS' with, as well as just having loaded VMware on it since Proxmox won't install.

Also, I have another machine with the same series motherboard, RAM, and an AMD processor rather than Intel, and I get the exact same error when trying to install Proxmox. There's something it doesn't like about the hardware or the BIOS, but I can't seem to find what it is. I bet a different motherboard other than the ROG Hero I have for both the AMD and z790 works just fine, but obviously I am not going to replace my board just to troubleshoot or get Proxmox to work.

R.I.P Proxmox. Hello VMware with Vmug licensing.

I am using YUMI Multiboot exFAT on bare metal. My buddy has been using Proxmox for 4 years and has used YUMI Multiboot, so based on the history of his experience in using that is why I haven't tried another media or re-provisioning the media. I suppose I can try this for giggles (your link), but I know that physically the USB stick I have is fine.

I'll source a different USB drive and try the documented way and see what it yields. Thanks!

From personal experience: try to avoid mutliboot USBs (or if something doesn't work: try a dedicated USB Stick immediately afterwards), I've used them in the past as well, but I've run into these kinds of issues multiple times (not only with Proxmox VE but also with several Linux distros). I get the convenience, and it's super handy to have a USB-Stick for everything, but running into this kind of issue and wasting time on troubleshooting can be really frustrating.

If you check ventoys GitHub issues[0] (YUMI Multiboot exFAT does use at least the bootloader from ventoy, but I don't know the details) you can see there are reported issues of the Proxmox VE Installer (and other operating systems) not working correctly (or even worse, the installation process works, but the installation won't boot afterwards).

[0] https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/issues

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!