5 server Proxmox running MS RDS and load balancing

jimvman

Oct 16, 2019
Hello again everybody,

I have about 250 users that would like MS terminal services (RDS) sessions for basic tasks like web browsing and Office applications. For this kind of load it would probably need to be spread over 5 or 6 physical servers. I'd like to use Proxmox for this but not sure of the best way to accomplish this. I know Microsoft has some load balancing methods for multiple servers. If I were to setup a Proxmox cluster is there anyway to balance the connections to the hardware that has fewest used resources? Or is the best option to setup each server as a separate proxmox instance, and install MS RDS on each one in a VM, and then put a load balancer in front for inbound connections?

Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this without running into massive load issues.

Thanks,
Jim

AFAIK, RDS has a broker service that can exactly do that. But best ask Microsoft.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!