4x ZFS Mirror to 1x bigger ZFS Mirror

synci

May 6, 2020
Hey guys,

i have 4 ZFS mirrors with 12TB total space (2 drives each) and want to make just 1 ZFS mirror with new bigger drives with 14TB total.

What is the easiest way to do this ? (I can not create a fifth mirror because the SATA ports are fully used)

My idea was to replace at first 1 drive from mirror1 with a new drive and wait till rebuild/resilver is complete.
Then i replace the second drive from this mirror and wait again till rebuild/resilver is complete.

But can i transfer the files from the other 3 remaining mirrors to the new one ?
(It is one dataset for all 4 mirrors, lika a pool, i dont know how to just access files from mirror3 for example)

Thanks !

Best regards,
Matthias

1602241315344.png

1602241341793.png

1602241437048.png

Last edited:
Assuming you won't be actively using those mirrors, you might as well take out one drive of each mirror. Connect both new disks and make a new mirror and copy all files to it. This way, you'll also have a copy of your original setup (assuming no drive dies while disconnected) in case something goes wrong. Or just connect one new drive, copy all files from all old drives/mirrors, and then add the other new drive (remove everything else) to form a new mirror? Maybe your original way is slightly safer on the other mirrors in case of failure of one of the disks? I'm not sure it really matters.
PS: make sure you scrub your mirrors before removing one of their drives.

Last edited:
I'd get myself an additional 2 port sata controller and create a new pool on the new disks.
Then transfer the datasets with zfs sent and receive. If you don't have a pcie slot at hand that's obviously not going to work in which case you indeed could remove one or even 2 disks from the existing pool by degrading/detaching a mirrored disk to achieve the same. But it is more risky.
A scrub should be definetly be issued and run before you remove your redundancies.

Reactions: leesteken
Thank you both for the great answers !
I dont even thinked about to simply put in a HBA for this, i have one and thats what i will do, great :)

Thanks a lot !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!