2 node High Availability cluster using DRBD and RPi as 3rd node

topquark

Sep 25, 2018
Soooo, I'm trying to get myself into high availability for a home project. I sort of kind of have a plan, but as my experience is limited I'd like to check here first to make sure I'm not doing something impssible/stupid.

The setup I want to end with is 2 nodes, that both run VM's in HA mode, where if one of the nodes fails the setups are transfered to the the active node. I do have a NAS, but it's by no means redundant enough to act as HA storage.

My (hopely workable) plan is as follows:
Use DRBD to sync the local storage of both Nodes.
Use a Raspberry Pi as a quorum only third node.
Fencing should be accomplished by disabling ports on 2 managed switches.

Not a lot of details yet, but checking if the concept should work before I dive into something that wont work anyway.
Will using DRDB work with HA and the 3rd pi node?
Has anyone done this before/is there a guide somewhere? (I have found the pi as quorum on the wiki, but not sure how HA storage is done).
Can I experiment with 3 VM's running proxmox (on an existing node) or will this not be a good experiment as proxmox normally runs as the os instead of virtualized?

Hello,

I do not know if drdb can be used in a such setup. But if it is ok for you let say 5 min data lose, then you can use async replicasion from node1 to/from node 2 for any CT/VM(via zfs)
When let say your node X is broken, then via a custom script you can run all yours VM/CT on the second node. You can define the schedule async zfs replication for each 5 min and so.

And if both nodes are alive you can move any VM/CT from one node to the second node.

Yes Raspberry 3.141 can be used for cluster qourum.

Thanks, for your reply, when you say you're not sure if DRDB can be used for this, does that mean that I can try, but the likelyhood of it working is close to 0, or do you just genuinly don't know?

5 min of data loss technically isn't much of a problem. But I technically don't even need HA.
For the sake of exersice I would like to have 0 data loss in such a way that the transition is as seamless as possible. If that would be too hard to accieve then I would settle for async replication.

when you say you're not sure if DRDB can be used for this, does that mean that I can try, but the likelyhood of it working is close to 0, or do you just genuinly don't know?

For sure PMX do not support drdb. But I see on the forum some guys who used with pmx. I also use myself many years ago drdb. The setup is let say at a medium level. But in the end it will be a additional software that you must check/administer.
Also note that drdb could go in a split-brain situation(network problems most of the time if I remembered ). In a such case you will need to resync the ALL data from node A to node B. And this operations could take a lot of time (depending of the data size).

Now let compare the drdb landscape with zfs. You will need to install only pve-zsync. Then you will need to create a zfs replication (using pmx web interface) or using pve-zsync command line. In the worst case you will finish in let say 5 min.
In my case I have setup using pve-zsync, and I forget ... so in 6 month I do not have any failures.

In the end , you can test both variants and find what is ok for you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!