2 node cluster with single diskshelf and TrueNAS VM

LANnerd

Feb 25, 2024
I was thinking of moving my 10x14TB SAS HDD's to a external diskshelf, probably something netapp.

Could I setup a Proxmox cluster of 2 nodes + Qdevice (or 3rd node), Then add SAS PCI-E controllers to both nodes passed trough to a TrueNAS VM in HA and connect both nodes to a SAS diskshelf (possibly to different IOM6 controllers)?

All VM storage will be on local ZFS SSD pools and maybe in the future Ceph. TrueNAS is just for mass file storage shared over SMB or NFS.

Thank you for any insights/Knowledge you may have.

Then add SAS PCI-E controllers to both nodes passed trough to a TrueNAS VM in HA and connect both nodes to a SAS diskshelf (possibly to different IOM6 controllers)?
I'm unfamiliar with Netapp stuff, yet I use something similar from HP and Fujitsu to do SAS to two boxes. Unless you access the data only from one VM and from a VM only (no hypervisor integration), it should work.

Reactions: LANnerd
Awsome! thank you!
Not shure yet if its gonna be Netapp, but its what i could find for reasonable money atm. Have no expierience whatsoever with diskshelves.

I'm currently in the proces of building a second node. This is probably gonna be the next step in the project.
Hopefully i'm able to setup 2 proxmox nodes with a diskshelf and a Rpi for NUT server and Q-device. Would be a neat setup.
Maybe add a unclustered 3rd node with backups in the future for maximum resilience.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!