2. Nic Best Way

sunghost

May 27, 2011
Hello,
i use PVE 4.2 on Debian Jessie and have a question about virtual networking and the best way to do. I have one physical nic and want to use 2 virtual nics for a firewall configuration as lan and wan port. As far as i understand i can use 2 normal linux bridge with e.g. 192.168.x.x and one linux bridge with 10.x.x.x network with 1 physical nic. but there are also the possibility to use ovs as bridge ..., so what would be the best way for my use case?
thx

Hi,
I would say it is a question of favor.
Both are able to do this.
OVS is an extra peace of software, Linux bridges are part of the kernel.

Hi wolfgang,
and thx for your reply. After reading a bit about ovs, i never use open vswitch, i think i will stay and go with linux bridge. I tried to add another bridge but totaly unsure how to configure the adapter. actual i have a bridge vmbr0 with point to eth0 with ip 192.168.0.2 and gateway 192.168.0.1, the question is how must the vmbr2 looks like? i tried ip 10.0.0.2 and gateway 10.0.0.1 for bridge port eth0 but got
Parameter verification failed. (400)
gateway: Default gateway already exists on interface 'vmbr0'
Message. Idea?

You need only one gateway and this should on the vmbr with the WAN nic.

Hi,
ok and how to configure a second vmbr2 for range 10.0.0.0 -10.0.0.254 ?

edit thats how it should be:
LAN-NIC <- PVE -> vmbr1 192.168.0.0
LAN-NIC <- PVE -> vmbr2 10.0.0.0
both as bridge, with aim to assign one vm vmbr1 and vmbr2 for firewall and routing function.

Last edited:
Hi,
i searched a bit and found here in the forum an answer from older Version of PVE, in which 2 bridges on one device is not supported by gui. Is this still up2date and not supported?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!