No network interface showing in GUI on install over debian

JohnnyD

Mar 4, 2023
There is no network interface showing in the mg GUI on an install over bookworm, is that correct behaviour? I see interfaces on both my ISO installs. This is v8.0.3

There is no network interface showing in the mg GUI on an install over bookworm,
PMG uses and relies on ifupdown2 for configuring network interfaces (via /etc/network/interfaces) - maybe your bookworm install uses a different mechanism?

It was a standard debian bookworm install, so I doubt it is different, I can see the info for the interface enp1s0 in /etc/network/interfaces.......odd

This mini PC box does have inbuilt wireless if that has any bearing?

please share /etc/network/interfaces of the system - maybe we can see where the issue is coming from...

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp1s0
#iface enp1s0 inet dhcp

iface enp1s0 inet static
address 192.168.1.47/24
gateway 192.168.1.1

and a screenshot of the interfaces section

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 11.15.24.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 11.15.24.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 15
The file you shared works here and is displayed in the GUI

please reboot - and check the journal for errors when going to GUI->Configuration

Nothing in syslog if I switch to the config section in the GUI, Its one of these mini PC things you can get on Amazon, could it just be an oddity? Debian Bookworm installed fine on it.

on a hunch - what are the permissions of /etc/network/ and /etc/network/interfaces?

/etc/network is
# file: network
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::r-x

and /interfaces is
# file: interfaces
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rw-
group::r--
other::r--

I have just discovered that apparmor now installs with bookworm, so I have now disabled it, but still nothing, could apparmor have affected the install in some way?

I have just discovered that apparmor now installs with bookworm, so I have now disabled it, but still nothing, could apparmor have affected the install in some way?
apparmor - more specifically the profiles shipped by clamav don't work with the way PMG uses it - I'd recommend to uninstall it and reboot

Don't think that it should prevent pmgproxy from reading /etc/network/interfaces though
(and even if it does this usually results in a few messages in the journal)

Reactions: JohnnyD
Hi,
if you open the developer tools of your browser (usually Ctrl+Shift+C), go to the network tab and re-open the page with the interfaces, do you see any failing request? Or maybe an error in the console tab of the developer tools?

Does ip a show the interface? Does ifreload -a give any errors?

In console on that page are never ending scrolling messages of

GEThttps://pmmg3.devine.mydomain.com:8006/api2/json/nodes/pmmg3/dns[HTTP/1.1 200 OK 37ms] (replaced domain name for security)

GEThttps://pmmg3.devine.mydomain.com:8006/api2/json/nodes/pmmg3/time

Every second or so
Did you re-open the Configuration tab? The relevant request should be with /nodes/pmmg3/network.
You can also run pmgsh get /nodes/pmmg3/network in the CLI to see what it returns (make sure to update to the latest version first, there was a bug with pmgsh that's since been fixed).

Hi Fiona

Yes I had clicked on the config page for those dns and time messages, I do see....

GET https://pmmg3.devine.mydomain.com:8006/api2/extjs/nodes/pmmg3/network?_dc=1688472614069

But don't know if that is an error or not

pmgsh get /nodes/pmmg3/network returns 200 OK

This will probably end up being a test machine so I wouldn't waste time on it really, I can't do what I wanted to do with it which was to add it to my existing 2 node cluster on a different LAN, as this PC is behind NAT so the cluster picks up the private address rather than the WAN IP

JD

That command actually returns......I dont know if the empty brackets on the second line signify anything, and I forgot to say I was on 8.0.4 since yesterday

200 OK
[]

That command actually returns......I dont know if the empty brackets on the second line signify anything, and I forgot to say I was on 8.0.4 since yesterday

200 OK
[]
So no interfaces found by the backend. What is the output of cat /proc/net/dev?

Inter-| Receive | Transmit
face |bytes packets errs drop fifo frame compressed multicast|bytes packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
lo: 14355077 68755 0 0 0 0 0 0 14355077 68755 0 0 0 0 0 0
enp1s0: 61808739 328653 0 3723 0 0 0 6729 57535511 283229 0 0 0 0 0 0
wlp2s0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

If you add/modify the entry for your host in /etc/hosts to be a non-loopback IP, it should work.

The bug is a bit hard to explain, but it has to do with Perl's file reading rules that can be temporarily modified. If the IP for the host is not resolved, a fallback reads the /proc/net/dev while the file reading rule is still modified, so all of it is read as a single line. But the code for interface detection does not expect this.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!