ERROR: Backup of VM 110 failed - no storage ID specified

triptolemus

Feb 20, 2023
Hello.

Title says it. One particular VM backup operation results in the error below. This is trying to backup to PBS, but the error is the same if I change to local or anything else. Other VMs are backing up fine without error. Running it from terminal is the same. Not sure where else to look for more helpful information. "storage" appears to be specified as --storage pbs1 which is very much present. Curiously, when I set scsi1 to backup=0, the backup completes successfully. With this in mind, I have tried to detach the drive and reassign it (qm set); doesn't help. The VM functions fine otherwise.

Any advice here?

1679861942751.png

Code:
root@pve:# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content backup,vztmpl
    shared 0

lvmthin: local-lvm
    thinpool data
    vgname pve
    content images,rootdir

dir: local-iso
    path /mnt/iso
    content iso,images
    prune-backups keep-all=1
    shared 0

pbs: pbs1
    datastore zfs1
    server 10.0.0.88
    content backup
    fingerprint 17:8e:ad:1.......
    prune-backups keep-last=1
    username root@pam

Last edited:
Hi,
thank you for the report! This is an oversight for passed-through disks. A fix has been sent the the mailing list.
EDIT: a version with the fix, i.e. qemu-server=7.4-3, is available on the no-subscription repository.

Last edited:
Hi,
thank you for the report! This is an oversight for passed-through disks. A fix has been sent the the mailing list.
EDIT: a version with the fix, i.e. qemu-server=7.4-3, is available on the no-subscription repository.
sorry, but exactly this version 7.4-3 I have installed and I get exactly the same error

Attachments

• 2023-05-19 20_09_18-proxmox - Proxmox Virtual Environment – Mozilla Firefox.png
    2023-05-19 20_09_18-proxmox - Proxmox Virtual Environment – Mozilla Firefox.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 6
Hi,
sorry, but exactly this version 7.4-3 I have installed and I get exactly the same error
this is not the version of the qemu-server package, but of the pve-manager package. Use pveversion -v on the CLI or the [your node] > Summary > Package versions in the UI to check it.

If you actually have a recent enough qemu-server package, please share the full log, the VM's configuration and output of pveversion -v.

Hi i am running
pve-manager/7.4-3/9002ab8a
I have the same problem. I am running TrueNAS. I want to backup just the set up. leave the disks alone
I am shering log

Attachments

• Backup-proxmox-vzdump-2023-06-19T08_00_49Z.log
    95.4 KB · Views: 3
Hi,
as written in this thread already, please check that you have a new enough qemu-server package installed:
Hi i am running
pve-manager/7.4-3/9002ab8a
this is not the version of the qemu-server package, but of the pve-manager package. Use pveversion -v on the CLI or the [your node] > Summary > Package versions in the UI to check it.

Thank you for quick answer
i was running qemu-server: 7.4-2
Thanks to your advice i fixed it. the backup looks like it is processing normally. now i have a different issue :/
It is trying to backup not only the 16gb TrueNAS disk bud alsow the 2x6tb disk that i passed threw.
is there a way to doo that ore do i have to go to hardware and detach my existing disks?

Thank you for quick answer
i was running qemu-server: 7.4-2
Thanks to your advice i fixed it. the backup looks like it is processing normally. now i have a different issue :/
It is trying to backup not only the 16gb TrueNAS disk bud alsow the 2x6tb disk that i passed threw.
is there a way to doo that ore do i have to go to hardware and detach my existing disks?
You can edit the disks in the GUI and deselect the Backup checkbox in the advanced settings to exclude the disks from backup.

I am sorry but I cannot fined it. where roughly should it be ?
Select the disk in the VM's Hardware view. Edit it and enable the advanced settings and you should see the Backup checkbox.

Hi,
Sir, How to upgrade the qemu-server, I am runing qemu-server=7.4-2 on PVE 7.4-3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!