[SOLVED] Ubuntu 22.04 CT not starting

thulium

Jun 5, 2022
Hi all, got VE running on a laptop and i get the following error when i want to startup a CT:

run_buffer: 321 Script exited with status 2
lxc_init: 847 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "101"
__lxc_start: 2008 Failed to initialize container "101"
TASK ERROR: startup for container '101' failed

im pretty new to proxmox, any help is appreciated :D

run_buffer: 321 Script exited with status 2
lxc_init: 847 Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "101"
__lxc_start: 2008 Failed to initialize container "101"
id 0 hostid 100000 range 65536
INFO lsm - ../src/lxc/lsm/lsm.c:lsm_init_static:38 - Initialized LSM security driver AppArmor
INFO conf - ../src/lxc/conf.c:run_script_argv:337 - Executing script "/usr/share/lxc/hooks/lxc-pve-prestart-hook" fo
r container "101", config section "lxc"
DEBUG conf - ../src/lxc/conf.c:run_buffer:310 - Script exec /usr/share/lxc/hooks/lxc-pve-prestart-hook 101 lxc pre-st
art produced output: objdump on /usr/lib/systemd/systemd failed: open3: exec of objdump -p /var/lib/lxc/101/rootfs/usr/l
ib/systemd/systemd failed: No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Tools.pm line 455.

ERROR conf - ../src/lxc/conf.c:run_buffer:321 - Script exited with status 2
ERROR start - ../src/lxc/start.c:lxc_init:847 - Failed to run lxc.hook.pre-start for container "101"
ERROR start - ../src/lxc/start.c:__lxc_start:2008 - Failed to initialize container "101"
INFO conf - ../src/lxc/conf.c:run_script_argv:337 - Executing script "/usr/share/lxcfs/lxc.reboot.hook" for containe
r "101", config section "lxc"
startup for container '101' failed

Can you please explain as well what are you looking for ? :D thank you.

Thanks!

Can you please explain as well what are you looking for ? :D
For a more specific error message of what exactly failed to see what's the difference between your setup and mine, as here that works, but I saw another such report today, so there must be something amiss. And thanks to you providing the output so quickly is now pretty clear: the pve-container package needs to depend on the binutils package, which provides objdump, as that's used since the latest version to detect the systemd version inside the container and binutils seemingly isn't in the base package set (but it's pretty common to have it installed, so we did not catch this before uploading to pve-no-subscription).

To be sure, can you please try installing binutils package:

Code:
apt update
apt install binutils

Then retry the CT start.

Last edited:
Like a charm my good man ! :D thank you very much for that.
Is there any chance i get some help on bridge connections on the CT ? :D

FYI: The just uploaded pve-container package update version 4.3-5 will now pull in the binutils package correctly.

Is there any chance i get some help on bridge connections on the CT ? :D
Well, this forum is luckily visited by a lot of helpful and experienced people, so there may be a chance they can help you too ;)

But I recommend opening a new forum thread for a new topic and mark this one as solved (set the Solved prefix using Edit Thread at the top right)

FYI: The just uploaded pve-container package update version 4.3-5 will now pull in the binutils package correctly.

Well, this forum is luckily visited by a lot of helpful and experienced people, so there may be a chance they can help you too ;)

But I recommend opening a new forum thread for a new topic and mark this one as solved (set the Solved prefix using Edit Thread at the top right)
thank you for everything :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!