Boot order: (no bootdisk)

godzilla

May 20, 2021
Hi,

all of sudden, many of the VMs in my cluster show (no bootdisk) in the Boot Order options (see screenshot). If I open the configuration file in /etc/pve/qemu-server/ the "boot" row is configured as boot: c.

If I open the option, everything is unset. Sure, I can set the right drive and after rebooting everything goes OK, but it seems very odd.

To add more strangeness, I just successfully shutted down and rebooted an unedited VM.

How do you explain that?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 15.09.40.png
    Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 15.09.40.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 15.14.17.png
    Schermata 2022-09-27 alle 15.14.17.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 11
Hi,
boot: c means "use the first hard disk". The setting was improved for Proxmox VE 6.3 to allow more flexibility, did you upgrade recently? I agree that the UI should show something like legacy instead of no bootdisk.

EDIT: Patch that would change the wording.

Last edited:
hi @fiona , thanks for your reply. No major upgrades (6 -> 7). I have some cluster nodes with different minor version (7.2.11 vs 7.2.8 for example).

do you think it could be related?

thanks!

hi @fiona , thanks for your reply. No major upgrades (6 -> 7). I have some cluster nodes with different minor version (7.2.11 vs 7.2.8 for example).

do you think it could be related?

thanks!
AFAICT, there were no changes to the relevant UI code in quite a while. Maybe you just didn't notice until now? In any case, it is recommended to switch to the new setting (e.g. by editing the order in the UI). I guess your VMs were created a while ago, or based on an older template?

AFAICT, there were no changes to the relevant UI code in quite a while. Maybe you just didn't notice until now? In any case, it is recommended to switch to the new setting (e.g. by editing the order in the UI). I guess your VMs were created a while ago, or based on an older template?
None of this, at least it seems.
It happened in both very old and brand new VMs, the templates are always the same. Not a big issue anyway *shrugs*

Thank you so much!

Do you create the new VMs with a custom CLI/API command? In that case it's up to you, to switch to the new syntax with e.g. boot: order=scsi0. Creating a new VM via the UI should not result in a boot: c setting.

EDIT: and if the templates use the legacy setting, the cloned VMs will too of course.

Do you create the new VMs with a custom CLI/API command? In that case it's up to you, to switch to the new syntax with e.g. boot: order=scsi0. Creating a new VM via the UI should not result in a boot: c setting.

EDIT: and if the templates use the legacy setting, the cloned VMs will too of course.
I really can't explain. Consider that 99% of the VMs are created using APIs, and none of my templates use the legacy setting (all of them are less than a year old). I can't find a pattern.

Thank you for your help anyway. I'll update you if any clue comes up :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!