100% Disk Usage for Windows 10 VMs

Jul 28, 2020
Greetings!

I have a ProxMox environment I setup earlier this month. The server has both local and network (10Gb) storage. I created two Windows 10 VMs. In both cases, I am using the Virtio SCSI driver and Virtio disks. In both cases, I seem to be getting poor disk performance. When I look at the Performance Monitor in their Windows environment, disk active time is 100% unless I let it idle for a long time. I did some research and tried

What disks are you using? SMR HDDs or QLC SSD? Is the hosts IO delay also high?

See attached image. IO Delay does not seem to be an issue.

In this case, the disk usage seemed to be normal. After I closed Teams on my Windows 10 instance (a coincidence, I am guessing), the disk activity shot up to 100%, but the IO delay was normal. Any ideas?

The local disks are 1TB 10K SAS disks and the NAS storage is is a RAID z2 (TrueNAS) using 6TB SATA disks with an Nvme cache disk.

Attachments

• high-disk-usage.png
    high-disk-usage.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 51

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!