0 Quorum - (5 node cluster) would this work?

Soogs

Jul 11, 2023
Hello, I would like to know if a 0 quorum/quorate is possible.

I have the following setup and would expect nodes to be on for longer periods in the future but for now chances are they will be off over night and potentially only on when needed.

Setup:

Node:
UseAlways onQuorum/Votes
1 - V.RouterVirtual router / DNS / VPN (and similar services)yes2
2Virtual NAS / download box / MC serveralmost always1
3Virtual NAS / TBDno0
4Virtual NAS / TBDno0
5 - backup V.Routerif node one goes down - or for prolonged maintenance on node 1no0

I have set the votes in a way that just the router can function solo and given the other vote to the next likely node.

I am wondering if it is safe to set all votes to 0?

Basically I want the backup router to be able to function solo (or I could remove it from the cluster and rebuild it but would prefer to keep it in the cluster).

The sole reason for the cluster if ease of management - I do not use any HA or anything like that.
Mainly used for all nodes in one GUI and guest migration.

Potentially I have two additional nodes to add to the cluster and would like to understand this better as it might be better to have a separate cluster of 3 if a zero quorum is not possible.

Quorum information
------------------
Date: Sun Jun 16 07:02:17 2024
Quorum provider: corosync_votequorum
Nodes: 4
Node ID: 0x00000001
Ring ID: 1.a3
Quorate: Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes: 3
Highest expected: 3
Total votes: 3
Quorum: 2
Flags: Quorate

If anyone is wondering why so many NAS' - I have 12 external drives (all micro pcs with not enough internal storage)
Thanks.

The sole reason for the cluster if ease of management - I do not use any HA or anything like that.
Mainly used for all nodes in one GUI and guest migration.
Would definitely not cluster in your setup. Guest-migration can also be achieved without a cluster. If its just for a central GUI - it is simply not worth the bother IMHO. Use some type of GUI frontend yourself to "click" on each Datacenter.

Last edited:
Reactions: LnxBil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!