Usb-to-parallel passthrough as a parallel port ~Patch

jbennet

Renowned Member
Jul 19, 2013
France
Hello dear proxmox users, I am willing to pass-through a parallel port (via usb-to-parallel) to guest vm that is too stupid (2003 server) to use a usb-to-parallel, but functions properly when kvm gives it a ready-to-use parallel port.

It works beautifully with kvm/libvirt, but proxmox prevents me from doing such a terrible thing because the device is validated against a regexp.

I guess one modification would be to change file QemuServer.pm

Code:
my $paralleldesc= {
        optional => 1,
        type => 'string',
        pattern => '/dev/parport\d+|/dev/usb/lp\d+',
        description =>  <<EODESCR,
Map host parallel devices (n is 0 to 2).

Physical parallel ports are named /dev/parport<number>, while usb-to-parallel ports are named /dev/usb/lp<number>

but then kvm also complains about a wrong command line ..
Code:
chardev: opening backend "parport" failed

TASK  ERROR: start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 500 -chardev  'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/500.qmp,server,nowait' -mon  'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -vnc  unix:/var/run/qemu-server/500.vnc,x509,password -pidfile  /var/run/qemu-server/500.pid -daemonize -name Serveur -smp  'sockets=1,cores=2' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on' -vga cirrus -cpu  kvm64,+x2apic,+sep -k fr -m 2048 -cpuunits 1000 -device  'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device  'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -chardev  'parport,id=parallel0,path=/dev/usb/lp0' -device  'isa-parallel,chardev=parallel0' -device  'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -drive  'file=/mnt/pve/BackupImages/template/iso/virtio-win-0.1-49.iso,if=none,id=drive-ide2,media=cdrom,aio=native'  -device  'ide-cd,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-ide2,id=ide2,bootindex=200' -drive  'file=/mnt/pve/BackupImages/images/500/vm-500-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide0,format=qcow2,aio=native,cache=none'  -device 'ide-hd,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0,id=ide0' -netdev  'type=user,id=net0,hostname=Serveur' -device  'e1000,mac=00:C0:9F:2C:D5:CB,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300'  -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime'' failed: exit code 1

The line does not seems to be wrong ? can you spot a mistake ?

(I guess I just have to replug everything and compare with virt-manager generated command line)

Last edited:
I re-plugged the test platform.. the virt-manager kvm command-line is the folllowing :
Code:
/usr/bin/kvm -S -M pc-1.0 -enable-kvm -m 2048 -smp 2,sockets=2,cores=1,threads=1 -name dumb 
-uuid 0c7cff3b-072b-8e28-a909-c502754a7fcb -nodefconfig -nodefaults -chardev 
socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/dumb.monitor,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control
 -rtc base=localtime -no-shutdown -drive file=/mnt/nfs/images/500/vm-500-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-ide0-0-0,format=qcow2
 -device ide-drive,bus=ide.0,unit=0,drive=drive-ide0-0-0,id=ide0-0-0,bootindex=1 -drive file=/mnt/nfs/template/iso/virtio-
win-0.1-49.iso,if=none,media=cdrom,id=drive-ide0-0-1,readonly=on,format=raw,cache=none -device ide-drive,bus=ide.0,unit=1,drive=drive-
ide0-0-1,id=ide0-0-1 -drive if=none,media=cdrom,id=drive-ide0-1-0,readonly=on,format=raw -device ide-drive,bus=ide.1,unit=0,drive=drive-
ide0-1-0,id=ide0-1-0 -netdev tap,fd=18,id=hostnet0 -device e1000,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:eb:d9:3a,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3
 -chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 [B]-chardev tty,id=charparallel0,path=/dev/usb/lp0 
-device isa-parallel,chardev=charparallel0,id=parallel0[/B] -usb -device usb-tablet,id=input0 -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -vga std 
-device intel-hda,id=sound0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4 -device hda-duplex,id=sound0-codec0,bus=sound0.0,cad=0
 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5

So I guess that I could pass the usb-to-parallel device with the ttys.. (edit: won't function, it needs a "device isa-parallel")

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!