Best storage scenerio for my home lab?

samgallaks

Jul 31, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm newbie and not a professional.
I am using proxmox at my home lab.

I have a DL380 GEN9 with 3 HDD, 1 M.2 NvME (ON PCI-E slot with converter) , And NVIDIA QUADRO GPU's.

I need 2-3 Windows VM's for my wife and children and for myself.

My point is having possible best performance for VM's.

The current configuration is :

PMX and VM's on same M.2 NVme and I'm using HDD's for backup VM's and as Data storage.

and I'm using GPU's with passtrought.

My questions are:

-If I install proxmox on USB Flash drive or, HDD or a new small M2. Nvme (For example 256GB)
and put VM's on seperate M.2 Nvme
can I get better performance?

- Addidion to above question. If I seperate each VM to single M.2 NVMe with passtrough?
is that a a good idea or not?

Caould you please suggest me what is the best configurationfor my purpose?

Hi @samgallaks ,

I am new to proxmox as well, but had good understanding on storage technology mechanisms.

Performance of any VM is based on lot of factors like CPU cores available (added to VM in your case), RAM and type of storage attached for booting or for data storing.

In your case installing proxmox ve on different storage device and VMs on different storage device is a good.

Below scenarios needs to be considered for VM Performance:

Heavy I/O Operations on disk:
If every VM doing heavy storage intensive tasks then considering separate storage device for each VM is a good performance choice.

nVME Storage devices for vms? :
Heavy disk I/O operations can be overseen, due to the nature technology it uses.

Mentioned Graphics card in post:
If VMs are used for gaming or editing isolation of storage devices will beneficial.

All the above scenarios are assumptions based on the information provided. If more details provided in terms use cases. I will propose a good solution.

Rahul P

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!