Recommended file system for a very small environment?

DrNoname

Apr 25, 2024
I'm planning to migrate my Windows Server 2019 with about 500 GB and a few Windows 10 clients currently running on ESXi to Proxmox.
The Proxmox host will be used "standalone" on a single physical server, without failover servers or SAN, the workload will not be very heavy.

Which file system should I choose, LVM with a RAID controller or ZFS with software RAID?
Is it advisable to install Proxmox on one SSD and have a separate disk (RAID) for data or should I put system and data together on one SSD?

Which file system should I choose, LVM with a RAID controller or ZFS with software RAID?
It depends on what storage you present. if you're using a raid controller, lvm, if you're presenting JBOD, zfs.

s it advisable to install Proxmox on one SSD and have a separate disk (RAID) for data or should I put system and data together on one SSD?
it is, for many reasons. separate ssd mirror for your system partitions, seperate disks for payload. If you dont mind a failure downtime you can forgo the mirror on the boot device, and keep your vm settings backed up.

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!