Ceph device : false

Grapefruit

Feb 2, 2024
Hello,

Does anyone know what can be the reasoning behind "Ceph_device : false"? run "ceph-volume inventory /dev/sdb"

1713164201603.png

Well, is it currently used by Ceph? E.g. part of an OSD?

You can check that by running ceph device ls-by-host $(hostname)

So this disk currently isn't used by any Ceph service? Therefore, Ceph device is shown as false :)

Reactions: gurubert
Ah, I see. Thanks. The cluster was not recognizing these disks, I've tried to add these with "ceph orch apply osd --all-available-devices" and "ceph orch daemon add osd host:/dev" but both didn't work. So I thought it was because of this.

ceph orch apply osd --all-available-devices
If you deploy a Ceph Cluster on Proxmox VE with our tooling, you cannot use ceph orch as it depends on the current way the Ceph Project itself deploys Ceph. But on a Proxmox VE host, you (usually) use the Proxmox VE way of deploying and managing it.

If you want to use CLI tools, check out man pveceph (online)

Reactions: gurubert

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!