[SOLVED] rescue boot change kernel cmdline

diversity

Feb 19, 2020
I run the latest proxmox with root on zfs

I locked myself out of the system by having added too many kernel cmdline parameters (/etc/kernel/cmdline) related to the disabling of the display.

So I tried using the rescue boot option on the most recent pve iso but it errors out stating it can not find rpool automatically.

And when I use the debug install terminal and exit into th command line interface and then zpool import -f rpool
I still can not find this cmdline file.

The question is how can I change the cmdline parameters using the rescue boot

And when I use the debug install terminal and exit into th command line interface and then zpool import -f rpool
I still can not find this cmdline file.
Maybe you need to explicitly tell zpool import to mount it somewhere (else than / )? I don't know the command from memory right now.

If you manage to chroot into your installation (with bind-mounting dev, proc, sys, etc.) you can undo your changes to the kernel parameters. The procedure is a lot like https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure but your setup might use systemd-boot instead of GRUB and making sure the rpool in mounted somewhere usable is the trick here.

thank you leesteken. it did hint me more into the right direction.

I was able to use the proxmox iso debug installer which I exited to enter a shell
then I was able to update the /etc/kernel/cmdline
using the steps found below
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/z...system-entering-rescue-mode.75122/post-334763

but then once I run the proxmox-boot-tool refresh command I get an error that it can not find grub directories and and rebooting i still get a black screen because of the kernel commandline parameters not having been updated.

Is there anything else I can try to make sure the boot process will correctly load the new kernel commandline parameters?

but then once I run the proxmox-boot-tool refresh command I get an error that it can not find grub directories and and rebooting i still get a black screen because of the kernel commandline parameters not having been updated.
Did you bind-mount /dev, proc, sys, run etc. before doing the chroot? I remember having a EFI variables issue (but maybe you had a different error?) and I need to do mount -t efivarfs none /sys/firmware/efi/efivars also before the chroot.

Reactions: diversity

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!