DR to Proxmox

ChrisJM

Mar 12, 2018
Hello all,

I have done a good google search and i cant find anything - is there any technology like Zerto or Nakivo or Veeam that can restore directly to Proxmox and mount the disks in case of DR instead of a restore which can take time?

Could you descibe what those products do exactly? I cannot imagine what this is?

restore directly to Proxmox and mount the disks in case of DR instead of a restore which can take time?
Just reading files from the backup is possible with PBS, if that is what you mean.

PBS can do that: start-while-restore. It has it's limits like it has on Veam as well.

Other DR Options would be to have a Cold-standby copy in a seperate cluster.

I was thinking more like Full DR Instant recovery to Proxmox so for example Hyper-V, VMWare, Physical to Proxmox instant recovery as a VM.

Vinchin is kind of there - lacks the support for Hyper-V and Physical to Instant Recover to Proxmox and no actual restore Physical to Proxmox either which is a pain- Nakivo doesnt fully support that either and lacks a lot

You mean some sort of Standby Cluster where you can instantly start a copy of your VM?

Yes so for example if a company want to backup their Windows Server or Linux Server on a Agent Based plugin - we want to be able to restore / recover to a proxmox host / cluster

I know this can be done, just dont know if this has been created - can just mount the drive and create the vm config with the mounted drive and then boot. - i know some configurations maybe different like IDE and so on.

So you want a cold standby Copy from a non-proxmox Hypervisor to a proxmox hypervisor? Why would you do that?

It's complicated, because you would have to automate all the tasks like exchanging drivers and so on.

I run some cold-standby setups, but promox->proxmox.

Proxmox to Proxmox is easy....

What if you have a physcial windows server and it goes down? we want to offer full DR to boot up within proxmox - Nakivo does do this but to restore to VMWare where the license is just insane - i know very well it can be done

My answer won't be helpful. I don't have windows on baremetal, and I think no one should.

To dig into it: it'd require a big amount of engineering, to implement this. I am not aware that anything like this exists or is in development.

good luck with this.

you would need to restore the virtual disks to one of the storage drives so that you can attach them to VM's
for these products is would be a scheduled restore action to Linux via ssh or agent of the disk files rather than a restore as VM's. depends on your RPO and RTO objectives as restoring full disk files can take some time unless you have the backup system local to the restore point with really fast disks.

Last edited:
you will also need a script to take the .vmx file and create a proxmox machine definition from it as thats will be the last bit of your puzzle

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!