Apache Guacamole can't reach Windows Server VM

sebastien4444

Mar 6, 2024
Hi !

On my Proxmox host [@192.168.1.100] (installed on a NUC), I have :
- CT srv-docker [@192.168.1.101] = Debian with Docker and some containers running : Portainer, Heimdall, Swag reverse-proxy and Apache Guacamole
- VM srv-win22 [@192.168.1.110] = Windows Server 2022
- VM cli-win11 [@192.168.1.210] = Windows 11

From Apache Guacamole, I'm able to connect to my Proxmox host via SSH.
But when I try to connect to my srv-win22 via RDP, I get an error message "The remote desktop server is currently unreachable".

Some debug info :
- srv-win22 firewall is disabled and remote connection is allowed
- srv-docker (wich contains Guacamole) can ping srv-win22 (so network is ok between those two)
- cli-win11 can connect to srv-win22 via RDP

First, I thought it could be because of my Swag reverse-proxy (because I was using guacamole with its exposed subdomain address through https://guacamole.myowndomain.duckdns.org), but when I'm connected locally to Guacamole (http://192.168.1.101:8080/guacamole), I get the same error.

Have an idea of what could go wrong ??

hi!,
some checks...
On Guacamole:
1) "connection to srv-winXXX", try it with ip's for debug
2) "connection to srv-winXXX" try security with: any, nla, tls, etc
3) tree a connection from guacamole to a win10 client too !
4) check for rdp port 3389 !

On Windows Side ...
check if ...
Windows Firewall already has enabled UDP/TCP rules for RDP traffic on port 3389
"Allow remote connections" is enabled under System Properties-->Remote-->Remote Desktop
"Allow connections only from computers running RDP with NLA" enabled ? disabled ?

Cheers,

Hi!

Thanks for your answer.

I finally found what was the issue : in the guacd logs, I read something about TLS/SSL error during RDP connection.
So, in gauacamole connection conf of why srv-win22 and srv-win11, I check the "ignore certificate" option, and everything was good !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!