Issues getting PBS to install on HP ML310e

user73937393

Feb 2, 2024
Hi Guys,

I've encountered a few problems repurposing an old ML310e Gen 8 server into a PBS. I realise this is old hardware, but I thought I would post it here if anyone else ran into the same problems.

I've tried lots of different configurations, all of which ended up with the same outcomes:
  1. PBS would not detect RAID configured in the onboard HP StorageWorks RAID mobo-raid. Instead, all of the HDs would show at the PBS installation. No matter which HD I installed PBS on, PBS would never boot, no matter what boot order I selected.
  2. Installing PBS on ZFS RAID1 would complete successfully but PBS would never boot, no matter what boot order I selected.
  3. Installing PBS on EXT4 (single drive) would complete successfully but PBS would never boot, no matter what boot order I selected.
  4. I tried removing the RAID card plugged into the mobo PCIe, plugging the HDs SAS/SATA table directly from the HD cage backplane into the Mobo (and reattempting all of the above). That did not change the outcomes above.
  5. When I disable the RAID in BIOS (i.e. "HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller"), the PBS says it cannot detect hard drives and will not proceed.
  6. I tried disconnecting the backplane entirely and installing PBS on SSD connected via a SATA cable directly to the mobo. The PBS installation would complete successfully but PBS would never boot, no matter what boot order I selected.
Any chance anyone had any luck getting PBS installed on a HP ML310e Gen 8?

I have pve 8.1 installed on an ML310eGen8. I have 4 HD in a single zfs raid array. The onboard raid is disabled in the BIOS. I also have an SSD plugged into the CD-ROM/DVD Sata connector on the mobo, which is in use for a cache.

I discovered that the system will not boot from the SATA connectors on the mobo, but it boots successfully from the zfs array, as configured by the installation procedure.

I suspect your problems are due to not getting things right in the BIOS probably related to the hard drives and the Raid controller . As my system is in constant use I am unable to give you details of how things are configured, except to say that it works!!

Last edited:
Thanks, @Brian Read. After quite a bit of research, I found this post on the HPE website.

In my case, I completely removed my raid card from my ML310e and plugged the drive cage directly into the motherboard. Then, within BIOS, I disabled the "HP Dynamic Smart Array B120i RAID Controller" under the PCIe settings. Then, I selected SATA Legacy Support under System Options > SATA Controller Options > Embedded SATA Configuration. Once I did that, I was able to install and boot to PBS, as well as create a `backups` ZFS pool. I haven't done backup testing yet, but I have no reason to think backups won't work.

In my case, I decided to have a single SSD disk as the boot disk. Then, use a second SSD as a write cache for my 4-disk `backups` RAIDZ pool. Whilst I can appreciate this isn't the ideal configuration, I think this will suffice for now until I replace the ML310e with updated hardware. In the interim, I'm just glad to see PBS up and running.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!