Proxmox with WIFI ? Any developments?

fruchtzwerg

Apr 3, 2023
I 've been using proxmox for two years now and really like the concept for my Homeserver filled with a bunch of containers.

So I just keep asking myself if it's possible to run proxmox on my notebook with WIFI.

I would use the debian of proxmox as my desktop (that runs fine).
But sometimes I need a Win OS or a special Linux (Kali). The best place for that is to run on the notebook because I can switch to every USB-passthrough I need on the fly and I could use it out of my home as well.
Clearly I don't want to be wired through LAN the whole time.

I read a bunch of posts in the forum and it seems to get crucial with Wifi-settings. Espacially to connect the VM to the internet.
I couldn't find a handy alternative to proxmox (tried Virtualbox).

Is there any development in this topic or should I just wait until a better integration?

It can be done, but I dont think you will like it.

pass the wifi to a router vm, and assign proxmox a static address in the LAN segment.

but honestly, I dont think this is a good solution for what you ask; whats the issue with virtualbox?

I've got a couple of old laptops running proxmox over wifi in a home lab. My work around is that I have a wifi link setup with vlans over vxlan trunk and I have piggybacked my laptops onto that trunk. As it is, my setup isn't portable for use over std wifi setup. it's reliant on my specific wifi setup.
I have several bridges setup on my proxmox laptops giving me access to specific vlans as well as the vxlan trunk. It allows me to experiment with various network and router topologies.

The gotchas for me were:
1/ It requires a specific wifi infrastructure with the trunk and vxlan (and an enlarged MTU for the trunk to provide for the vxlan overhead)
2/ required manual network /wifi interface setup
3/ I couldn't leverage the proxmox vxlan config as my system uses vxlan over multicast.
4/ proxmox gui seems to object to my wifi link and vxlan trunk interfaces so any changes require cli work.

Hi,

Is there any development in this topic or should I just wait until a better integration?
There isn't really an development to be done. We have a dedicated Wiki page in regard to the topic, which Dunuin also already linked.
It is explained there pretty well, esp. the downsides.

WiFi isn't really supported as such and probably never will. It's messy, needs workarounds (such as NAT) and is just very unreliable and latency-intensive in general and should thus never be used for servers.

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!