Snapshot rollback

jhr

Nov 29, 2021
Hi all,

I was wonder what exactly would happen when I make a snapshot of live linux VM and then after a couple of hours I will click on rollback ?
I supposed that VM will be at the same state when I did a snapshot. I am pretty sure of that.
But I was wonder what will happen after that. My rollbacked VM will have an old time, but I have configured a chronyd service to handle a correct time.
Will the chrony daemon works or not ? Will speed up RTC to actual time or it will be complained about huge time differencies ?

The VM was rollbacked. The time is in the past. Chrony not complained at all. Chronyc sources shows a couple of internet time servers with a minimum Last sample +1675us, -1774us. date command shows Thu Jan 25 09:01:59 CET 2024, but now is Sun Jan 25 17:01:59 CET 2024.
I waited for a day, but seems VM to not catch the current time.
When I restarted chronyd services, the time shift to acctual time after a few seconds.

Does this means that if I not restarted chrony daemon, the time will be wrong for ever ?
Why chronyc sources shows bad Last samples ?

I would be rather when chrony shows warning about a huge time skew and refused to do anything + chronyc sources should shows Last sample around 4800 minutes.

I am not complaining to Proxmox itself, I was wondered if someone have the same experiances.

THX

Will the chrony daemon works or not ?
it will.

Will speed up RTC to actual time or it will be complained about huge time differencies ?
RTC doesnt care about any time stated on your filesystem. the "RTC" is not part of your vm.
I waited for a day, but seems VM to not catch the current time.
set your timezone. timedatectl set-timezone <your timezone>. if you dont know what your tz nomenclature is, timedatectl list-timezones

Not sure what your suggestion about setting my timezone means ?
Of course I have my timezone from begining of VM installation.

the time difference is an exact time difference between made a snapshot and rolled it back. So I made snapshot, waited for 6 hours and rolled back a snapshot.
I did not touch timezone. It is the same VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!