Proxmox VE 8.0 Syslog

cornelp

Jul 19, 2023
So, just installed Proxmox VE 8.0 on 3 of our servers, set them up in a Cluster.
Under System, it shows the services installed/running.
We send all our logs to a specific syslog server. Our previous Proxmox VE 6.2 servers sends all the logs to syslog already.

The new 8.0 servers, the syslog status shows "not installed"
The same for the systemd-timesyncd "not installed"

Is that by default, and if so, how can I install it so I can setup to forward all the logs to our syslog server?

Thanks...

Attachments

• ProxMox-Syslog.JPG
    ProxMox-Syslog.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
PVE8 is based on Debian 12 and Debian 12 doesn't ship with syslog any longer. It got replaced by journald. If you want syslog, you can still install and configure rsyslog: apt update && apt install rsyslog

Reactions: Kosh and cornelp
PVE8 is based on Debian 12 and Debian 12 doesn't ship with syslog any longer. It got replaced by journald. If you want syslog, you can still install and configure rsyslog: apt update && apt install rsyslog
Thank you very much for that info. I was able to get it installed and push all the logs to my central Syslog-NG Server.
I have one more question. While the logs DOES go to the syslog-ng server, not ALL logs seem to go to the syslog server. It seems only certain logs does. Is there a location or a setting I can do to ensure ALL logs from ProxMox goes to the remote syslog server?

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!