[SOLVED] best CPU type for live migration between 2 different hosts

manilx

Mar 25, 2022
Hi

I have 2 Protectli FW6E with 8 x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (1 Socket)
I have all my VM's with CPU type "host". Live migration always works fine.

I now added a new MINIS FORUM NPB7 with 20 x 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-13700H (1 Socket)

Tried live migration and VM's froze. Then I remembered the CPU type.
Which CPU type should I choose to be able to live migrate between the different hosts? But which also has the best performance.

Thx in advance!

Tried Westmere, Penryn, qemu64, kvm64. Can live migrate from the Protectli to the Minis Forum but if I migrate back the VM freezes.

Last edited:
Usually the oldest architecture that you have in the cluster if you want to use as many instruction sets as possible.

Maybe it is also necessary to use a newer kernel on the host itself. You can install the opt-in Kernel 6.2 and test if it works better with it running on both hosts. https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/opt-in-linux-6-2-kernel-for-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.124189/
Aaron,

If you look at the 2 CPU's I posted of the 2 hosts, could you please specify, which one I should choose in the VM? Really appreciate the info.

I can install the newer kernel if you tell me that it would work better... Had no issues with the 5.x until now.

Worked with SandyBridge. Don't know if this is the best one with the 2 hosts CPU's....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!