Linux bridge with two nic

Ting

Oct 19, 2021
Hi,

I have two nics in a proxmox, and each nic is on two different subnet. I created a Linux bridge to have both nics included, and assign this bridge to a vm. In this vm, I tried to ping a node in other subnet, but can not connect, not sure what did do wrong. The setup seems very straightforward, can not think what else I was missing.

Please point out to me what is correct way to connect two subnet together. Thanks in advance.

It is always helpful to post your network configuration: cat /etc/network/interfaces

Hi, Thanks for your reply,

here is network configuration:

auto vmbr7
iface vmbr7 inet static
address 10.0.10.200/24
bridge-ports eno4 enp3s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

this is a bridge I created, and eno4 is on subnet 192.168.0.x/24, and enps3s0 is on subnet 10.0.10.x/24, I gave this bridge a ip address 10.0.10.200

and I assigned this bridge to a window vm, and this vm get a ip address from 192.168.0.x subnet, but I can not ping any nodes on subnet 10.0.10.x, I thought this bridge is a dump bridge, will route traffic between two subnet, not sure whether I need to setup any routing instructions.

enps3s0 is on subnet 10.0.10.x/24, I gave this bridge a ip address 10.0.10.200
Then there is a first probem. PVE host shouldn't have 2 IPs in the same subnet or this might cause routing problems.

I will do a test, but I thought by assigning ip to a bridge, only create a way for a node on subnet 10.0.10.x to access proxmox gui.

no, it did not resolve my issue. Sorry.

I removed this bridge's ip, applied the change, and reboot the vm, still no ping inside of this vm from subnet 192.168.0.x to other subnet 10.0.10.x

do you only have 1 physical switch ? (where are plugged the eno4 && enp3s0) ?

if yes, you'll have a network loop at layer2.

and you can't ping magically from 192.168.0.x to 10.0.10.x, you need a gateway somewhere in your network

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!