Upgrade failed from pve 6 to 7 due to storage space

ara

Mar 18, 2022
Hi

I tried to upgrade from 6.4 to 7. I made a huge mistake.
My space local-lvm was exhausted during installation :-(.

I tried https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#In-place_upgrade

Than my local-lvm runs out of space. I rebooted... Now I'm not able to run vmbr0.
So, no network connectivity anymore.

In this situation. Is there still hope to fix the system or do I need to do a fresh installation?

Any hint kindly appreciated!

Thx ara

Hi,

what kind of errors are you getting when trying to ifup vmbr0?

Ok hm ..., let's get a bit more basic:

Did you free up space on the device, and did you finish the upgrade process?

during the upgrade it breaks while "apt dist-upgrade"... then I just free up local-lvm (which was 100% full) with "apt clean" which removes all in pipe update packages... now I'm in that sticky situation.
(So, the upgrade process was interrupted)

Last edited:
you need to clean up something else then apt packages, can you move some big stuff away temporarily?

I freed up some disk space on local-lvm but if I reboot there is no way to get back up "vmbr0" again (so no network connectivity anymore).
Looks like something is broken and maybe I just need to completely fresh install everything from scratch again :-(

"systemctl status networking" is just fine and "ip a s" lists all the interfaces but vmbr0 does not appear ???
How can I make sure vmbr0 was properly started?

I decided now to do a fresh installation... thx anyway for your input... It was a try :cool:

So, now it works back again... This was only because I used separate disks like swdata / vmdata.
I just installed the latest version and reconfigured the storage.cfg and the pve/nodes config files
and all came back perfectly.

So, for me as a former ESXi enthusiast, it shows me how easy it is to work with proxmox even in such critical cases.

Thx to all replies !!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!