GPU Passthrough gets "Operation not permitted"

kaleb112494

May 4, 2021
Good morning. This is my first adventure in dealing with GPU passthrough, and I'm struggling to wrap my head around it.

I started with the PCI Passthrough documentation here, and found that my hardware apparently does not support Interrupt Remapping. I enabled the unsafe interrupt flag, but this did not change my outcome. All info that I have from CLI and hardware is here.

The VM is bootable when I was using SeaBIOS with i440fx, and will boot using q35 if I don't have the GPU passed through. Below is what I've set my flags to in order to try and get it passed through. I found that there is another IOMMU device, 000:04:00.1, that I've also passed through. This fails, as well.

r/Proxmox - First Time - Help with GPU Passthrough (x-post PVE Forums)

Below is the Exit Code I receive a few seconds after trying to start the VM:

Task viewer: VM 201 - Start
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:04:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-1,addr=0x0.0,x-vga=on,multifunction=on: vfio 0000:04:00.0: failed to setup container for group 25: Failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1

stopped

I just can't seem to get around this "Operation not permitted" part, though I've enabled the unsafe interrupt flag. Where can I go from here? TIA.

can you please post the complete dmesg output ?

your hardware is probably the responsible part:
[ 0.476515] DMAR-IR: This system BIOS has enabled interrupt remapping
on a chipset that contains an erratum making that
feature unstable. To maintain system stability
interrupt remapping is being disabled. Please
contact your BIOS vendor for an update

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!