Proxmox cluster questions

May 17, 2019
Hello,

i have a 8 node proxmox cluster located over two datacenters, 4 on each side. We are still running Proxmox 5.4. Currently all network communication (corosync and normal network communication) is done over one switch per datacenter. I know that is not optimal and i could add a second network interface for the corosync communication over an other switch. Sadly this can't be done in time for the change that is coming.

Long story short: one of my colleagues wants to reconfigure the switch ports where my proxmox cluster is connected to and all of the proxmox communications is running over. He said nothing should happen because its a simple change and in the worst case my network interfaces are gone for 30 seconds. What does happen when the proxmox hosts aren't able to talk to each other for 30 seconds? Is there a maintenance mode or something to disable all fencing and split brain scenarios? I'm currently using ha-manager and would disable this before the change. Shutting down all VMs running on the cluster is not an option. Are there any other steps i can do to reduce the impact if something goes wrong?

Thanks & best regrads,
Daniel

Hi,

you must remove all HA service (KVM/LXC) and stop the service pve-ha-lrm and pve-ha-crm.
Then your cluster will stay up and do not fence.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!