Bridge, bonding and vlan

luigi

Feb 4, 2019
Hello everyone.
I have a proxmox cluster with 3 node. In figure attached I show only two nodes.
On each server I have only 4 ethernet port, let me say eth1, eth2, eth3 and eth4.
I need of 4 VLAN:
VLAN10 (Production) - Must go on internet with default gateway 192.168.10.254
VLAN20 (Cluster) - proxmox cluster, internal network
VLAN30 (Management) - Must go on internet with default gateway 192.168.30.254
VLAN40 (Migration VM) - internal network

I thought of a solution like the one shown below.
I wold create two bridg:e
vmbr0 with default gw 192.168.10.254
vmbr1 with default gw 192.168.30.254

On vmbr0 I would create Bond0 interface with eth1,eth2 interfaces and vlan VLAN10, VLAN20 and on vmbr1 I would create Bond1 interface with eth3,eth4 interfaces and vlan VLAN30, VLAN40

I have two questions:
- Is it right the above solution?
- How to implement this solution on Proxmox?

Best regards, Luigi

Attachments

• proxmox.png
    proxmox.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
I thought of a solution like the one shown below.
I wold create two bridg:e
vmbr0 with default gw 192.168.10.254
vmbr1 with default gw 192.168.30.254

2 default gateways are only useful if you define criteria which gateway have to be used in which case (and cannot be defined btw. in Proxmox WEB GUI), e.g. policy routing with different route tables, see https://blog.scottlowe.org/2013/05/29/a-quick-introduction-to-linux-policy-routing/

Note: this is possible in a Proxmox host since it's Linux Debian, but not a Proxmox supported feature so if you use it it's at your own risk.

I have two questions:
- Is it right the above solution?
Depends on your need - a general answer is not possible. Just a remark regarding cluster network: we recommend to separate it physically, just a vlan separation is to less.

- How to implement this solution on Proxmox?
Regrding gateways as mentioned above, regarding vlans see chapter "VLAN on the Host" from https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#_vlan_802_1q

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!