CEPH - OSD List virtual drives

watnow101

Apr 9, 2018
Hi all.

Is there a way where I can get a list of disk drives of VM's on a specific OSD?

Currently I am running the following.

ceph osd map SSD vm-100-disk-0

But that is when I already know the disk name.

I want to find out which VM is hogging DIsk IO on the OSD that is currently slugish.

Is there a way where I can get a list of disk drives of VM's on a specific OSD?

Not directly

Currently I am running the following.

ceph osd map SSD vm-100-disk-0

The above command does not show where the data are stored. To get this more commands have to be run:

Code:
rbd -p <pool> info <virtual-disk>

returns some basic information, note the field block_name_prefix which looks e.g. like "rbd_data.1603ec6b8b4567"

A list about all data objects in the pool can be created by
Code:
rados ls -p <pool>

There will be a huge output, to get the objects assigned to the respective virtual disk select the items containing the above determined block_name_prefix

Afterwards the location where (on which osd) an object is stored can be figured out by
Code:
ceph osd map <pool> <object>

Doing this for each object you will get the OSDs where the virtual disk is stored

Here an example how to do all this comprehensively for one disk:
Code:
rados ls -p SSD | grep  `rbd -p SSD info vm-100-disk-0 | grep block | cut -b 21-43` | sed 's/rbd_/ceph osd map SSD rbd_/g' > tempfile;chmod 777 tempfile;./tempfile

But that is when I already know the disk name.
Yes, if you want to get the information for a certain OSD you have to to this for all virtual disks and select the desired OSD.
I want to find out which VM is hogging DIsk IO on the OSD that is currently slugish.
If you have a look at the data for one disk you will probably see that it spread across (almost) all OSDs, therefore your request cannot be fulfilled as you expect. If you have a (too) slow disk remove it simply from your OSDs - its content will be automatically redistributed to the remaining OSDs.

@Richard

I came across this and wanted to know how to interpret the output. I ran the
ceph osd map <pool> <object>

command and got:
1578037721271.png

I don't understand which results indicates which OSD the VM data is currently on?
When cross referencing the different numbers (e.g., pg 19.adf.., or ([21,22], p21)...) , those numbers don't seem to resonate with the OSD numbers. Any guidance here?

Thank you for this, it helps somewhat but an issue I have now is with an HDD pool, which doesn't response to "rbd ls -l PoolHDD", so I don't suspect the "ceph osd map..." command to work at the moment. Ideally my goal is to find out how to figure out which physical disk a VM is currently running on.

Been having HDD errors and have used some roundabout ways to move VMs to avoid messing with its OSD.

Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!