Invalid SSL certs cause uploads to fail

Jan 31, 2017
Hello,
Had a issue today on a brand new install on both the latest version of 4.4 and the 5 beta 1 where since the ssl certificate was not valid it would cause uploads to any of the storage to fail. I thought for some time at first that the issue was with my storage, possibly the raid controller being bad out of the box or a issue with one of the drives. I initially saw the error:

Apr 6 15:26:14 phoenix pveproxy[1923]: problem with client 10.10.10.12; ssl3_read_bytes: tlsv1 alert unknown ca

The error above would show whenever I would goto login, and whenever I would goto upload directly when the upload would fail with the Error shown in the GUI:

Error 0 occurred while receiving the document. OK

So I was unable to upload a ISO or any other data at all.

To describe it more I would log into proxmox while running tail -f /var/log/syslog
I would then goto my local storage, then select upload, begin to upload the ISO.
The ISO would get to a random % number, then go back to 0% and start over, when starting over I see the error in systlog about tlsv1
Eventually after about 3 or so cycles the upload failed with " Error 0 occurred while receiving the document. OK"

I simply ignored it for some time and tried to follow a few threads, and a bug report which claimed it was a browser issue, and to update browsers, try different browsers etc. This was not the case. I decided to test with my wildcard cert from digicert, replacing the ssl files for my node with the appropriate pem files needed.

Immediately after restarting pveproxy I was able to upload files to my storage with no issue.

Just thought I would leave this thread here for anyone else who has this issue so they do not spend hours on the problem because it was a little annoying.

I simply ignored it for some time and tried to follow a few threads, and a bug report which claimed it was a browser issue, and to update browsers, try different browsers etc. This was not the case. I decided to test with my wildcard cert from digicert, replacing the ssl files for my node with the appropriate pem files needed.

And how do you accomplish that (not a clue about certificates) since I m having the exact same problem.

Even though I seem to solve my problem (i was trying to upload the iso from a laptop using wifi connection. From the moment I connected via lan the upload took 2 mins max and all went fine.) I would still like to see the procedure of your way. Just in case in the future come across a similar problem.

Thank you

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!