[SOLVED] LSI Megaraid Storage Manager

Victor Pelletier

Apr 1, 2019
Hi, this is my first post, also I speak french donc vous pouvez me répondre en français.

I have no experience in Proxmox whatsoever. I've read the admin guide while installing it last week after 12 years on esx. I got a new job and I must now be a Proxmox master. I like the challenge till now.

My question is on regards of managing the raid. I have at home a lab with a SystemX 3630M4 + ServeRaid M5110. I have followed this :
proxmoxve.blogspot. com/2015/05/lsi-intel-raid-monitoring-with-megaraid . html

This isn't working but my past with vmware wasn't easier, sometime it is a issue of version, firewall, switch, drivers, and I will not quit till I can manage (with GUI) my Proxmox Lab.

Hi, this is my first post, also I speak french donc vous pouvez me répondre en français.

I have no experience in Proxmox whatsoever. I've read the admin guide while installing it last week after 12 years on esx. I got a new job and I must now be a Proxmox master. I like the challenge till now.

My question is on regards of managing the raid. I have at home a lab with a SystemX 3630M4 + ServeRaid M5110. I have followed this :
proxmoxve.blogspot. com/2015/05/lsi-intel-raid-monitoring-with-megaraid . html

This isn't working but my past with vmware wasn't easier, sometime it is a issue of version, firewall, switch, drivers, and I will not quit till I can manage (with GUI) my Proxmox Lab.

I am sorry to say it, but I failed to see how this is related to Proxmox.
You followed a 4+ year old post and say it does not work. Well since than I bet the base os,that is Debian, have changed atleast twice. Not counting multitude of updates. Ofcourse it may not work.
Also IBM 36xx servers are a pain in the ...
Well you know. I had 2 of them in my last work and even though fully functional I could not reporpuse them as things simply refused to work on them.
Now. Want to run proxmox on them you can do it. Setup the raid from bios or Ipmi if you have it and load proxmox on it.
No you will not be able to control raid from proxmox UI. Not happening even if process on the link worked. The link author specifically points to windows client for management and also says that monitoring does not work.
That said, you can manage your proxmox setup via gui but not the hardware.

I'm not sure how to interpret the goal of your answer

I am sorry to say it, but I failed to see how this is related to Proxmox.
- it is not related to proxmox beside the fact that I'm encountering this issue while in proxmox, I come from Vmware and their inhouse linux and I am nowhere near comfortable in Linux. I will translate your reply into a positive one saying “Hi Victor, as proxmox run on debian, take a look about MSM on Debian instead”.

You followed a 4+ year old post and say it does not work. Well since than I bet the base os,that is Debian, have changed atleast twice. Not counting multitude of updates. Ofcourse it may not work.
- I've followed a 4yo post for a 7yo hardware with a 1,5yo OS, while a lot can have changed between Debian 9.6 and 8.4, still I need help and not sure if I am dumb for at least trying something, I’ve already learnt stuff trying it. I will translate your reply into a challenging one saying "Of course it may take a lot of work to make it happen".

Also IBM 36xx servers are a pain in the …
- personal opinion on a 3630M4 are irrelevant to the question, I have bad memory about other brand too, we are getting off topic and a proxmox forum is the last place on earth where I want to debate such closed thinking, I am not ashamed at all to get a free M4 + M5110 for a personal lab :)

Well you know. I had 2 of them in my last work and even though fully functional I could not reporpuse them as things simply refused to work on them.
- I wasn't near to ask you details about your personal experience, if you open another thread I would be more than in to brag about all the braindamage 10+ years of virtualization across every possible hardware still keep me 100% excited about discovering yet another technology this month, then again off topic and irrelevant, I am happy with a free M4

Now. Want to run proxmox on them you can do it. Setup the raid from bios or Ipmi if you have it and load proxmox on it.
- it is already running, the fact that I have already tried MSM, kinda implied this

No you will not be able to control raid from proxmox UI.
- It is not at all what I am asking, I like MSM, it work in a Windows environment, have GUI, it is my goal, I may not have been precise

Not happening even if process on the link worked. The link author specifically points to windows client for management and also says that monitoring does not work.
- I want to manage it, not monitoring it, it is why I followed the howto in the first place and on that I was word for word explicit, fourth line of my post, I may lack of English knowledge, maybe monitoring and managing are synonyms in your language, I apologize

That said, you can manage your proxmox setup via gui but not the hardware.
- Proxmox is already running as I was already messing in it prior to ask for help, I am aware of this last part.

So ! My first new friend here ! You misread almost 50% of my post and subjectively disagreeing with the last 50%. You could then choose to share safe neutral or positive thought but you take the path of smart self centered off topic guy. I do prefer to wait for a good guidance from neutral empathic motivated kind of people. The first step to achieve something is to believe in the value of it. R&D to make it happen worth it for some of us. I will expand of that if another topic raise this kind of matter..

Regards.

Ok. Let's start fresh.
First of all I do apologize if my post come across as stuffy and condecending.
That was not intentionally.
However I fail to see how I missed 50% of your posts idea and where I disagree with the rest 50%.

Also I absolutely do not say anything bad or good about your server. First of all there is not enough information to judge how old and outdated it is based on the info given.
Second it does not matter for most things.
Except if you say that proxmox is not working on it.
I myself run 15! year old machine until about 3 month ago. So what.

That said, what I was trying to convey in my response is that your original post luck information and a clear question in it.
It is very dificult to discern what the post is about.
Do you need help with Proxmox?
Do you need help with your megaraid?
It simply not clear.

I also tried to point out that the how-to link you site is almost 5 years old and reffer to several version back.
That means that considering how much time past and how many updates and upgrades have been since it simply may not work at all.
No disrespect meant.

Sincerely Vlad

Ok. Let's start fresh.
First of all I do apologize if my post come across as stuffy and condecending.
That was not intentionally.
However I fail to see how I missed 50% of your posts idea and where I disagree with the rest 50%.

Also I absolutely do not say anything bad or good about your server. First of all there is not enough information to judge how old and outdated it is based on the info given.
Second it does not matter for most things.
Except if you say that proxmox is not working on it.
I myself run 15! year old machine until about 3 month ago. So what.

That said, what I was trying to convey in my response is that your original post luck information and a clear question in it.
It is very dificult to discern what the post is about.
Do you need help with Proxmox?
Do you need help with your megaraid?
It simply not clear.

I also tried to point out that the how-to link you site is almost 5 years old and reffer to several version back.
That means that considering how much time past and how many updates and upgrades have been since it simply may not work at all.
No disrespect meant.

Sincerely Vlad

My favorite kind of "helper", those who apologize and then repeat. I have put details inside your quote on my last reply to address specifically where are the misread/useless comments and to provide more details. So for the third time, word for word from my very first post, I need to manage RAID via GUI for a M4 on which is installed proxmox and the link provided is the closest thing I've come across on google, simply don't reply, your clearly aren't helping and aren't going to.

Is there a button to delete this post ? I will go on some Debian forum and come back when I find something usable to manage raid with a gui for our lovely proxmox build

Hi, even after the crappy help I got here for my first post ever in the very first hour of proxmox experience for myself, I dare come back with some interesting new. It appear that you can remotely manage your LSI / Avago Raid adapter with a GUI and even set email monitoring in case of failure. It is wonderful.

- you first need to install xbase-clients and enable X11 forward over SSH
- install megaraid-storage-manager xx .deb
- some quirk with vivaldiframeworkd
- done, you get the full GUI to manage and monitor your raid adapter, flawless

If there was a way to easily post picture inside a post I would post a quick how-to as there was nothing straight forward and it took almost 2 hours for what happen to be a 20 minutes / no reboot needed intervention.

Also a big thanks to jim.bond to point out that I did achieve alone what appeared to be impossible in the first place, it reinforce my ego.

Reactions: JeffS
I usually use nagios for RAID monitoring, but first you would need to install megacli for that to work.

Hi, even after the crappy help I got here for my first post ever in the very first hour of proxmox experience for myself, I dare come back with some interesting new. It appear that you can remotely manage your LSI / Avago Raid adapter with a GUI and even set email monitoring in case of failure. It is wonderful.

- you first need to install xbase-clients and enable X11 forward over SSH
- install megaraid-storage-manager xx .deb
- some quirk with vivaldiframeworkd
- done, you get the full GUI to manage and monitor your raid adapter, flawless

If there was a way to easily post picture inside a post I would post a quick how-to as there was nothing straight forward and it took almost 2 hours for what happen to be a 20 minutes / no reboot needed intervention.

Also a big thanks to jim.bond to point out that I did achieve alone what appeared to be impossible in the first place, it reinforce my ego.
Hello, unfortunately I didn't manage it with megaraid-storage-manager. Didn't find any megaraid-storage-manager as "deb" only as "rpm", errors came up when converting because an attempt was made to create a folder in usr/local. The megaraid-storage-manager GUI requires Java, how should I start it under Proxmox?
Excuse me for my english.

Hello, unfortunately I didn't manage it with megaraid-storage-manager. Didn't find any megaraid-storage-manager as "deb" only as "rpm", errors came up when converting because an attempt was made to create a folder in usr/local. The megaraid-storage-manager GUI requires Java, how should I start it under Proxmox?
Excuse me for my english.
This is not a PVE problem, it's a debian problem, so maybe asking in a debian forum will be better.

I do not use the GUI, only CLI and it works fine with converting the rpm with alien. GUI is a lot harder and you probable need to repackage it manually and this is not a trivial task for non-Debian developers.

This is not a PVE problem, it's a debian problem, so maybe asking in a debian forum will be better.

I do not use the GUI, only CLI and it works fine with converting the rpm with alien. GUI is a lot harder and you probable need to repackage it manually and this is not a trivial task for non-Debian developers.
understand, thanks
With the following source "deb http://hwraid.le-vert.net/depian bullseye main" it is no longer necessary to convert an rpm
How do you use CLI? Error messages via email?

There exist many monitoring "glue" programs that run the CLI, inspect the ouput and inform you what is wrong. We use this for decades.
what kind of surveillance program do you use? the program is run on Proxmox itself or on another computer

It works on 7.02 You do not run a gui on the proxmox server. Install the megaraid client on proxmox as per guide above together wih the drivers http://hwraid.le-vert.net/.

Then on your workstation install local client you can get it here.

https://www.broadcom.com/site-search?filters[pages][Content_Type][type]=and&filters[pages][Content_Type][values][]=Downloads&page=1&per_page=10&q=megaraid storage manager

and connect via IP address to server and you can monitor raid.
As I said the installation does not work, see:
root@Dell:~# alien --scripts *.rpm
lib-utils2_1.00-10_all.deb generated
Package build failed. Here's the log:
dh binary
dh_update_autotools_config
dh_autoreconf
create-stamp debian/debhelper-build-stamp
dh_testroot
dh_prep
debian/rules override_dh_auto_install
make[1]: Entering directory '/root/MegaRAID_Storage_Manager-17.05.01'
mkdir -p debian/megaraid-storage-manager
# Copy the packages's files.
find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -not -name debian -print0 | \
sed -e s#'./'##g | \
xargs -0 -r -i cp -a ./{} debian/megaraid-storage-manager/{}
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/MegaRAID_Storage_Manager-17.05.01'
dh_installdocs
dh_installchangelogs
dh_perl
dh_usrlocal
dh_usrlocal: error: Cannot generate a correct shell script for /usr/local/MegaRAID Storage Manager due to shell metacharacters
make: *** [debian/rules:7: binary] Error 25

And after installing the megaraid-storage-manager on win 10, the message appears that javaw.exe is missing

Here are my notes from a couple of years ago. HTH.

Install MegaCli on Proxmox or Debian
  1. Install necessary tools apt-get install unzip apt-get install alien
  2. Install necessary lib apt install libncurses5
  3. Download wget https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-...-controllers-common-files/8-07-14_MegaCLI.zip
  4. Unzip unzip 8-07-14_MegaCLI.zip
  5. Create debian package cd Linux sudo alien MegaCli-8.07.14-1.noarch.rpm
  6. Install debian package sudo dpkg -i megacli_8.07.14-2_all.deb
  7. run MegaCli /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -h
After cli installed do this

https://www.sven-mette.com/install-lsi-megaraid-storage-manger-on-proxmox-6-2/

wget https://download.lenovo.com/servers...si-lnvgy_utl_msm_17.05.01.03_linux_x86-64.tgz

tar -xf lsi-lnvgy_utl_msm_17.05.01.03_linux_x86-64.tgz
alien --scripts *.rpm
dpkg --install lib-utilsXXXXXX_all.deb
dpkg -i megaraid-storage-manager_XXXXX_all.deb

/etc/init.d/vivaldiframeworkd start
update-rc.d vivaldiframeworkd defaults

download the storage manager from
https://www.broadcom.com/site-search?filters[pages][Content_Type][type]=and&filters[pages][Content_Type][values][]=Downloads&page=1&per_page=10&q=megaraid%20storage%20manager

Here are my notes from a couple of years ago. HTH.

Install MegaCli on Proxmox or Debian
  1. Install necessary tools apt-get install unzip apt-get install alien
  2. Install necessary lib apt install libncurses5
  3. Download wget https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-...-controllers-common-files/8-07-14_MegaCLI.zip
  4. Unzip unzip 8-07-14_MegaCLI.zip
  5. Create debian package cd Linux sudo alien MegaCli-8.07.14-1.noarch.rpm
  6. Install debian package sudo dpkg -i megacli_8.07.14-2_all.deb
  7. run MegaCli /opt/MegaRAID/MegaCli/MegaCli64 -h
After cli installed do this

https://www.sven-mette.com/install-lsi-megaraid-storage-manger-on-proxmox-6-2/

wget https://download.lenovo.com/servers...si-lnvgy_utl_msm_17.05.01.03_linux_x86-64.tgz

tar -xf lsi-lnvgy_utl_msm_17.05.01.03_linux_x86-64.tgz
alien --scripts *.rpm
dpkg --install lib-utilsXXXXXX_all.deb
dpkg -i megaraid-storage-manager_XXXXX_all.deb

/etc/init.d/vivaldiframeworkd start
update-rc.d vivaldiframeworkd defaults

download the storage manager from
https://www.broadcom.com/site-search?filters[pages][Content_Type][type]=and&filters[pages][Content_Type][values][]=Downloads&page=1&per_page=10&q=megaraid%20storage%20manager
Yes, I understand, but that doesn't change the fact that debian doesn't allow you to create a folder under /usr/local during installation.
Apparently that used to be the case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!