filesystem with compression within a KVM

RobFantini

Famous Member
May 24, 2012
Boston,Mass
Hello,

I've got a lot of text data to archive within KVM.

When the kvm is stored on zfs - the data takes up 1/2 the space of kvm on ceph. [ compression is turned on for zfs. I think it is on for ceph, however i do not see a setting in ceph.conf. which I'll ask about in a separate post.]

So I was thinking of using kvm on ceph with :
a small disk for opsys.
2ND disk using a file system which supports transparent compression like zfs or btrfs .

btrfs - I've never used it. zfs - have never tried as a single disk within a kvm.

If you have any suggestions / comments please reply.

regarding ceph compression - I did not have the following set, did so now. then will test compression result within a kvm:
Code:
ceph osd pool set ceph compression_mode passive

I have not been able to get ceph compression activated within a kvm or lxc.

using zfs within a kvm works

to test i rsynced logs from our rsyslog system to:

kvm on ceph using etx4: 6.6G
lxc on ceph; 6.6G
zfs in a kvm on ceph: 2.1G

If anyone has a suggestion on how ensure compression works with ceph [ I am sure it does and this is an operator error ] please send suggestions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!