[SOLVED] Configuring a Proxmox VE cluster running over an OpenVPN intranet

Why don't you just setup a new proxmox cluster inside your proxmox and try for yourself?

Depending on the network speed, it should be possible and was also discussed here on the forums recently.

Why don't you just setup a new proxmox cluster inside your proxmox and try for yourself?

Depending on the network speed, it should be possible and was also discussed here on the forums recently.

Could you point me to the recent discussion - I have searched the forums and had no luck so far. I am new to Proxmox (only been using it a couple of days) so this is pretty advanced stuff for me to try without some sort of guide.

Some issues with the guide I linked to:

1. He uses UFW in the example but Proxmox 4.2 uses pve-firewall
2. Proxmox no longer uses apache, it uses pve-proxy.
3. Proxmox doesn't use any dummy interfaces and given he states in the dummy interface section that proxmox will not boot if you mess that part up, I don't want to risk messing it up.

So I have this setup and running now.

Couple of things to bare in mind.

1. I didn't setup a dummy interface, instead I added the following to /etc/network/interfaces:

#For OpenVPN
auto vmbr20
iface vmbr20 inet static
address 10.100.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 10.100.0.0
broadcast 10.100.0.255
bridge_ports none
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
post-up route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 240.0.0.0 dev vmbr20​

2. I didn't use his up.sh and down.sh (and removed them from the OpenVPN server.conf) because I was getting errors with tap0. Instead I did the following:

ip tuntap add name tap0 mode tap​

Not sure if the above is a good way to do it but it works (happy to accept suggestions based on the original guide using up/down scripts)

3. He uses ufw in the guide - I just added equivalent rules to iptables to open up 1194 for OpenVPN.

4. Debian 8 (due to systemd) seems to have some issues when running OpenVPN as a service. If you start OpenVPN:

service openvpn start​

It doesn't work - it starts but it does so without any configuration file. So you need to use:

systemctl start openvpn@<conf file>.service
Where <conf file> is the name of your server configuration file in /etc/openvpn (usually this is just called server.conf if you followed the guide) eg:

systemctl start openvpn@server.service
(note: don't add the .conf)​

You can then tell systemd to start the vpn on boot with:

systemctl enable openvpn@server.service

NOTE:
You can do the same on your client machines just put your client.conf in /etc/openvpn/ (along with keys/certs) and start the client with:

systemctl start openvpn@client.service
And if you want it to start at boot do:

systemctl enable openvpn@client.service
I haven't setup the cluster yet so currently I am managing all the servers from their own pveproxy interface but I have moved them all off their public IP Addresses and onto the private vpn and can currently connect to them via my desktop browser (connected to the same VPN) on their relevant https://10.*.*.*:8006 URL).

I will update further once I setup the cluster & enable multicast.

Other than the changes above I pretty much followed the original guide completely, so I hope this makes things a little easier for others.

(Thanks to gardar in ##proxmox on freenode for helping me troubleshoot the systemd issues and pointing me to the original guide).

Reactions: Romkus
Hi, Think Privacy! And thank You for writing about Your building! Have You succeed with building cluster? Does multicast work with OpenVPN? And.. can it really work as HA cluster? I think I have to tune my one, but I'm so pretty noob in this...

Hi we connected multiple datacenter proxmox network via ZeroTier One VPN.
default is router mode. we used bridge mode of zerotier for making all in one LAN.

Reactions: TheSixWings

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!