Unattended Proxmox installation

Lucian

Nov 7, 2017
Hello,

I need to find a way to install Proxmox automatically and I found the wiki page where it's said to install Debian Stretch first, then install promox on top of that.
I am happy to proceed that way, but I was wondering.. how OK is this procedure? Are developers happy with it for a production environment etc?

Regards,
Lucian

I am happy to proceed that way, but I was wondering.. how OK is this procedure?

It should be perfectly fine as long as you follow the procedure on the wiki correctly.

On a second thought, installing Proxmox on top of Debian makes ZFS complicated.
If I installed Debian from preseed file, on an ext4 partition, can I then add a second partition, format it ZFS and use it for VMs?

If I installed Debian from preseed file, on an ext4 partition, can I then add a second partition, format it ZFS and use it for VMs?

In theory, yes.

But after you've installed Proxmox, you should be able to create a new ZFS storage (and many other types) easily through the GUI.

Just go to
Datacenter > Storage > Add

In theory, yes.

But after you've installed Proxmox, you should be able to create a new ZFS storage (and many other types) easily through the GUI.

Just go to
Datacenter > Storage > Add

I want to fully automate my deployments, don't want to rely on GUI - that's for one.
Two, the featured you mentioned only works if you have entire drives available, whereas I only (for example) have a pair of SSDs which I'd like to use in some sort of RAID1.

I just used really small SSDs just for default ext4 Debian plus Proxmox and when everything was set, I created ZFS on all other disks as extra Pools. This way I have ZFS data disk which I can just plug into a new PVE setup just in case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!