Ansible proxmox module

Marek

Oct 26, 2017
We are using ansible to manage servers - even windows ones.

We are using SMBIOS to smugle information - for example i put in SKU label IP address and then with powershell i extract it on VM - then i use this IP address to set static IP. For automation process i would like to use proxmox module for Ansible - do anyone knows how to set SMBIOS with proxmox module for ansible so i can do it on 100+ VMs at once?

i am asking especialy for command - what command should i execute to set SKU foe e.g 127.0.1.2 using proxmox module for ansible.

I hope it makes sense for you guys :D

Code:
  - name: update smbios values
    proxmox_kvm:
      api_user: "{{ api_user }}"
      api_password: "{{ api_password }}"
      api_host: "{{ api_host }}"
      node: "{{ node }}"
      name: "{{ name }}"
      smbios: "uuid=foo-bar"
      update: yes

Basically the command would be something like

Code:
ansible -i $my-inventory-file $my-hosts-list -m proxmox_kvm -a "api_user=$my-api-user api_password=$my-api-password api_host=$my-api-host node=$node-where-the-vm-is-located-at name=$vm-name smbios='uuid=foo-bar' update=yes"

Very nice idea.

Could also cloud-init be used for that? You can also think of it as a kind of "special small database", but storing information in SMBIOS is often the only way to go. I also looked into that a while ago and was saddened that there is no simple "special virtual device" for that. Hardware manufacturers added also BIOS extensions to store windows licensing information, so in principle there are some possibilities.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!