SMTPUTF8

Juliano Silva

Oct 15, 2017
How to resolve this error, help I

Feb 3 20:29:14 security postfix/smtpd[2286]: connect from mail-it0-f51.google.com[209.85.214.51]
Feb 3 20:29:14 security postfix/smtpd[2286]: 965B110A12: client=mail-it0-f51.google.com[209.85.214.51]
Feb 3 20:29:14 security postfix/cleanup[2325]: 965B110A12: message-id=<8d1621f3ee8bd7220f8131efb95500cd@www.xxxxxx.com.br>
Feb 3 20:29:14 security postfix/qmgr[2188]: 965B110A12: from=<bxxxxxxxx@gmail.com>, size=12506, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Feb 3 20:29:14 security postfix/smtpd[2286]: disconnect from mail-it0-f51.google.com[209.85.214.51] ehlo=1 mail=1 rcpt=1 data=1 quit=1 commands=5
Feb 3 20:29:14 security postfix/lmtp[2326]: 965B110A12: to=<adrianxxo@xxxxxxxx.com.br>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=0.2, delays=0.15/0/0.04/0, dsn=5.6.7, status=bounced (SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered by host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1])
Feb 3 20:29:14 security postfix/qmgr[2188]: 965B110A12: removed

@Alwin @tom
Can this please be shipped with PMG on default? This error happens to all system that we have to setup for our customers. :-/

How to edit the PMG templates to keep the changes after updates?

Can this please be shipped with PMG on default? This error happens to all system that we have to setup for our customers. :-/

This has been fixed for quite some time now (pmg-api version >= 5.0-75). Are you running the latest versions?

How to edit the PMG templates to keep the changes after updates?
Check out the admin-guide (or the online-help in a running PMG) : section 4.3 Configuration Templates

Hope this helps!

Well I am running the latest version (currently 5.1-3) but apparently the postfix templates were not updated through the update.
I checked the PMG templates in /var/lib/pmg/templates/ and there is no such setting regarding "SMTPUTF8".

Why weren't there any files updated if it was fixed?
Does this mean that future updates won't contain any file and config update? What is the update good for if this doesn't work? :)

---

For those without properly updates templates files here the manual fix (which I do not prefer):

Code:
mkdir /etc/pmg/templates
cp /var/lib/pmg/templates/main.cf.in /etc/pmg/templates/
echo "smtputf8_enable=no" >> /etc/pmg/templates/main.cf.in
pmgconfig sync --restart 1
grep -rni "utf8" /etc/postfix/main.cf

Last edited:
Reactions: filipi_saci
We did not disable SMTPUTF8 support in postfix.
The issue got fixed by implementing and forwarding SMTPUTF8 in pmg-smtp-filter - the last commit in that series should be https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pmg-api.git;a=commit;h=4a00e01d0827522bad3fa171080d5dc20a8bc1db

With that the workings inside of PMG should be compatible - and postfix has quite a robust heuristic whether it needs the SMTPUTF8 support in a downstream server.

Do you have logs of cases where it does not work?

Do you have logs of cases where it does not work?

I got the errormessage from one of the mails for now:

Code:
<*****@web.de>: SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered by host
mx-ha***.web.de[212.227.*.*]

This seems to be related to outgoing traffic?!

Could it be that this happens when the mail contains utf-8 characters in its headers, and/or recepients unquoted?
And that the error happens when PMG tries to deliver such a mail to web.de's MX servers?
(See the "Using Postfix SMTPUTF8 Support" point 3 of the postfix-readme: http://www.postfix.org/SMTPUTF8_README.html)

If that's the case I guess you have the following options:
* get web.de to support SMTPUTF8
* get the server, which sends via PMG to encode all headers/addresses and not use SMTPUTF8
* disable SMTPUTF8 advertisement in PMG with the workaround you posted.

Hello everyone, I am facing the same problem, my diagrama is: Internet --> Firewall --> PMG --> Zimbra --> Firewall --> LAN.
Well one ours client send email account wrong written for intance the account is juridad and they write jurídica with accent.
So, when is received by the PMG I got this message:

Diagnostic-Code: X-Proxmox; SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered by host X.X.X.X ---> This is the IP address of Zimbra

From the sender's email I got that:
The response was:
local-part of envelope RCPT address contains utf8 but remote server did not offer SMTPUTF8

Final-Recipient: utf8-addr; jurídica@dominio.co
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mgmail.dominio.co. (xx.xx.xx.xx, the server for
the domain dominio.co.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; local-part of envelope RCPT address contains utf8 but remote server did not offer SMTPUTF8

Last-Attempt-Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 19:11:22 -0700 (PDT)

The problem is that sender send a email to some recepients if there is only one account wrong written I mean with accent not spelling, any recepients doesnot receive the message.

I have checked as you said in this thread but I still with the problem

PMG:
root@pmg:~# postfix reload
postfix/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
root@pmg:~# grep -rni "utf8" /etc/postfix/main.cf

114:smtputf8_enable = yes

Zimbra
zimbra@mail:/root$ postconf smtputf8_enable=yes
zimbra@mail:/root$ grep -rni "utf8" /opt/zimbra/common/conf/main.cf
721:smtputf8_enable = yes
zimbra@mail:/root$ postfix reload
/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
zimbra@mail:/root$ grep -rni "utf8" /opt/zimbra/common/conf/main.cf

721:smtputf8_enable = no

I hope somebody can help me about that and thanks in advance.

Diagnostic-Code: X-Proxmox; SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered by host X.X.X.X ---> This is the IP address of Zimbra
You have 2 options:
* enable SMTPUTF8 in zimbra - you need to ask zimbra support/their forums whether this is possible
* disable SMTPUTF8 in pmg:
for this you need to change the main.cf[icode] via the templating system - see https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#pmgconfig_template_engine (as far as I remember - it should be enough to set [icode]smtputf8_enable = no but you can check out the postfix documentation: http://www.postfix.org/SMTPUTF8_README.html)

I hope this helps!

Reactions: stefan6
Hello Stoiko,

Thanks for you anwser, I have tried set to "smtputf8_enable = no " but rejects the email if that is coming with any recepients address email account with accent and does not receive by others recepient into the email.

Thanks for you anwser, I have tried set to "smtputf8_enable = no " but rejects the email if that is coming with any recepients address email account with
did you reload/restart the PMG afterwards?

if smtputf8_enable is disabled postfix should not announce that it supports the smtputf8 extension and the sending client/server should not attempt to use it.

the log of such a mail should provide more insight were the problem is.

I changed the parameter to smtputf8_enable = no and restart de proxmox mg (pmgconfig sync --restart 1) but still with de problem but you as can see rebounced the email even one of them the recepients (sistemas) is a correct email account.

Message not delivered
There was a problem delivering your message to jurídica@dominio. Contact the remote server administrator for details.
The response was:
local-part of envelope RCPT address contains utf8 but remote server did not offer SMTPUTF8​
Final-Recipient: utf8-addr; jurídica@dominio
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mgmail.dominio. (X.X.X.X, the server for
the domain dominio.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; local-part of envelope RCPT address contains utf8 but remote server did not offer SMTPUTF8
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 07:38:43 -0700 (PDT)

Attachments area

profile_mask2.png

Mail Delivery Subsystem
9:38 AM (0 minutes ago)

to me

Message not delivered
There was a problem delivering your message to sistemas@dominio Contact the remote server administrator for details.
The response was:
local-part of envelope RCPT address contains utf8 but remote server did not offer SMTPUTF8​

Attachments area

changed the parameter to smtputf8_enable = no and restart de proxmox mg (pmgconfig sync --restart 1) but still with de problem but you as can see rebounced the email even one of them the recepients (sistemas) is a correct email account.
the bounce says that the final recipient which could not be reached was jurídica@dominio (which does contain a utf8 character).

my guess would be that this was a mail that was queued before you changed the config - and those mails will not be changed - the question is
if you send an e-mail now to jurídica@dominio - does it arrive?

else please provide the logs for this new attempt

Well I am running the latest version (currently 5.1-3) but apparently the postfix templates were not updated through the update.
I checked the PMG templates in /var/lib/pmg/templates/ and there is no such setting regarding "SMTPUTF8".

Why weren't there any files updated if it was fixed?
Does this mean that future updates won't contain any file and config update? What is the update good for if this doesn't work? :)

---

For those without properly updates templates files here the manual fix (which I do not prefer):

Code:
mkdir /etc/pmg/templates
cp /var/lib/pmg/templates/main.cf.in /etc/pmg/templates/
echo "smtputf8_enable=no" >> /etc/pmg/templates/main.cf.in
pmgconfig sync --restart 1
grep -rni "utf8" /etc/postfix/main.cf
It's works for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!