Choosing the right storage type

caplam

Nov 14, 2018
Hello,

I'm relatively new to proxmox. I'm using it for my personnal needs and to experiment new things.
I was using esxi 5.5 but i wanted to experiment live migration and other stuff (not available with the free license).
So i decided to move on to proxmox.
I started with one host to test. I enjoyed it and migrated my esxi vm to my first host.
Then i installed a second host to experiment. I now have a 2 nodes cluster.
Both nodes have a standard installation with a ssd as root storage.
I also have 2 nas that i use with a nfs share for backup and image, templates storage.
On host #1 i have some vm not requiring too much ressources (ipbx wazo, jeedom smarthome controller, zabbix monitoring and logitech media server)

On host #2 i have a win8.1 vm with c: partition on ssd and a second drive attached with passtrough (by uuid)
I have a second vm dedicated to docker (as i understood running docker in a lxc container was not reliable).
This vm runs a dozen of containers.
I have some docker containers to add (now running on a synology nas) but i'll need more room.

My plan is to experiment in order to build a new host to replace both hosts. I also want to keep host #1 to run the most important vm in case of failure of the new host. For this new host i plan to have enough ram to use local zfs pool.

On host #2 in a vm i have a plex docker container which need more room for his db and thumbnails. I don't want to use the ssd.
I also have to transfer a unifi-video docker container to this vm. The container can run on the ssd but i need another storage for the video footages.
I want to be able to take snapshots.
I have sata disks unused on the host #2
my synology nas has 4 nics and 6 4TB disks (DS1815+).

I don't know what performances to expect from nfs share storage on the synology. Do i have to dedicate one nic to it ?
If i use local storage on the host by using sata disk how can i use it?
Block or file level ?
I hesitate between directory and lvm thin.
Are these steps correct ?
For lvm thin i have to create pv, vg, lv and convert lv to thin with cli and then add lv thin with gui.
For directory i have to create a partition, format it to ext4 and mount it with fstab with cli then add the mount point with gui as directory.

Thank you in advance for your answer to a knoob.

Hi,

I think you are more happy with lvm thin because it has less overhead.

You can create the Storage like LVM thin or dir over the GUI on node level.

Hi,
Thank you for your answer, so i'll go for thin pool.
Unfortunately i can't do it with the gui.
I have a disk (/dev/sdb).
I created a pv: pvdocker
then a vg: vgdocker
But in the gui, on node level when i want to create a thinpool i can't because it says there are no unused disk.

Edit: I think i had not understood how it works.
Finally i could add a thinpool following: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/create-an-additional-lvm-thin-disk.38733/
and then going in the gui but i could not create the thinpool on the node level, only on the datacenter level.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!