Backup and Restore Proxmox Node Configuration?

openkiwi

Sep 22, 2018
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask the community about a regular sysadmin task everyone has to deal with: backup & restore. I am not talking about backing up the VMs and containers, but rather backing up the Proxmox node configuration. Such as you could then restore the exact same configuration on a freshly installed new node.

This is a critical feature has it is often required in case of hardware failure or replacement.

I have not found any documentation about this feature in the admin guide nor the wiki. So how do you guys handle it?

In my specific case, I recently acquired a RAID controller card and would like to replace my current ZFS pool by a hardware RAID. I will need to completely reinstall Proxmox and I would like to easily restore every aspect of the configuration.

Thanks in advance for your consideration \o/

I have not found any documentation about this feature in the admin guide nor the wiki. So how do you guys handle it?

It has been discussed in the forums a couple of times, feel free to search and try to adopt the different strategies there.

In my specific case, I recently acquired a RAID controller card and would like to replace my current ZFS pool by a hardware RAID.

That's a pity. Backup & restore cannot be easier than with a ZFS pool, just send/receive your pool incrementally. The only part that needs to be backuped and restored seperately is your boot partition. In UEFI, I just use a DOM or USB Stick, which only has some files and is backed up to the zpool regularely. In case of recovery, i bootup a live CD with ZFS integrated and restore the pool and the uefi stuff and I'm good to go.

That's a pity. Backup & restore cannot be easier than with a ZFS pool, just send/receive your pool incrementally. The only part that needs to be backuped and restored seperately is your boot partition. In UEFI, I just use a DOM or USB Stick, which only has some files and is backed up to the zpool regularely. In case of recovery, i bootup a live CD with ZFS integrated and restore the pool and the uefi stuff and I'm good to go.

I do not doubt that. Unfortunately, I run Proxmox at home where I prefer using most of the system RAM for VMs instead of ZFS.

For Linux oldschoolrestore do an backup wtih cron from "/etc/" and also make an packages imaging with
Code:
dpkg --get-selections '*' > packageslist.txt
After new install, add every sourceslist to the server reinstall all packages with:
Code:
dpkg –set-selections < packageslist.txt
Then copy needed file from etcbackup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!